You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Why should the FA have deleted the tweet about the English women footballers going back to being mothers, partners (loathe that description) and daughters?
It was described as sexist, which baffles me, apart from the use of one word what was said was quite correct. Anyone who was upset by the wording needs to get a life.
My wife hasn’t worked formally (does lots of unpaid/volunteer work) since she left work when pregnant with our eldest (28 years ago) and regards being a mother as being the best and most rewarding ‘job’ any woman can have, plus what is wrong with being described as a ‘partner’ (they should have used wife or girlfriend in this instance) or daughter, seems spot on to me.

I read a bit today via MSN about Jamaica seeking billions in reparation from Britain for slavery.
My view is fine, but you go back to the country from which your forebears were taken, and give up the life that evolved from your 6+ great grandparents being transported.
One of the comments was that David Cameron’s has benefited because his cousin 6 times removed benefited from slavery, which is getting back so far as to be nonsensical and many thousands would be able to trace their ancestry and said to have benefited.

While we are at it, shall we seek compensation from The Italians for the Romans, and the Norwegians for the Vikings? What about Seeking some compensation from Ghengis Khan’s relatives?

This whole crap colonial argument and everyone wanting compensation for stuff that happened a LONG time again.

It is like getting arrested and charged for a crime your great grandfather committed. I didn’t do those things, so why should I be made to feel guilty for it? how about we realise that it’s a two way street and we should all crack on and stop being little whiny bitchy doorknobs about it.

Oh wait, is it racist if a white person says it?

21 posts were split to a new topic: New ACO DofE supervision requirements

The whole thing around the celebrity child abuse.

Two of my cousins were born in the mid 50s and said they had mates who from the late 60s to mid 70s went to places just to ‘get off’ with someone famous and one of them was quite open about who and where and did the whole groupie thing. I don’t get the ‘innocent’ being led astray thing. My dad has said it’s no different to what he saw as a teenager in WW2, girls not much older than him, went after servicemen with one aim in mind.

I was drinking with a mate and his son (22) outside a pub and a couple of female cadets saw him and said afternoon to him by name and I acknowledged them as well. I asked how he knew them and apparently he’d seen them at a party, he asked how I knew them and I said they were cadets and in Yr11. He was taken aback and tbh if I didn’t know they were cadets and in Yr11, I would have easily taken them for 19 or 20. I’ve seen them and other female cadets at socials in civvies and none of them look their age, whereas boys generally do.

With everything that gets done in school now wrt to safequarding, one of our neighbours said her 4 year old’s class was given a talk about internet safety and ‘stranger danger’ (mind you I remember my mum and dad telling me not to accept sweets or presents from people I didn’t know), any child in the modern era who lets something get beyond the second text, email etc without mentioning to parents or someone at school is IMO deliberately putting themselves in harms way.

Hundreds of experts disagree with your view. If you knew in details how people groom and blackmail young kids, it becomes less black and white.

Off topic, but the majority of abuse is carried out by someone the child already knows. I just hope that I’m not reading from your post that you can’t see the issue with being groomed as a child, given that you volunteer in a youth organisation.

This discussion is going wildly off-thread here, but although you could argue that in the eye of the law, the result is still the same, there are some differences between the “start-struck” teenager setting their sights on a celebrity & an adult deliberately setting out to groom/abuse a youth.

…you would think so, but youth of today think that they are cleverer. They get told about CEOP & rapidly forget it. Very recently, a local “young adult” was sentenced for blackmailing a young girl into sending him naked pictures. He had set up a false (under18) profile on social media & asked numerous young girls for juicy photos. At least 2 girls did so, & he then blackmailed one to send more photos. She didn’t so he posted the original photos to her friends on the social media group.

“Digital permanence” doesn’t seem to figure with most youngsters; the advice we gave to ours was do not send anything via whatever medium that you would not want your granny to see or hear about! In this case, the person was wrong to ask for such photos in the first place (it is a criminal offence - a lot of teenager are not aware of this) but then this was compounded by what I can only call stupidity of the girls to then send naked pictures.

Most of us are probably guilty of the “look at me” aspects of social media - the trouble is, the internet can be a very dangerous place. Check your cadets’ profiles on Facebook - how many of them are completely open??

It’s undoubtedly a “generation” issue, but girls seem to develop quicker physically - & more importantly, despite being significantly under 18, want to go places (night clubs, etc) to strut their stuff & generally show off - with or without parental knowledge.

SWSATT are clearly getting desperate for candidates for a course… or the Sqn Ldr in charge has an IT issue involving him sending out 30 emails for the same course this morning!!! GMG though as it took me ages to delete them all! :frowning:

1 Like

I think the mail system is messing up a bit - I have seen 3 emails over the weekend delivered to me multiple times and one email I sent seemed to stall and I got a “message unable to be delivered - will retry” sort of message for it

Had several duplicated emails yesterday and today from different Bader accounts.

There’s a problem with some of the data centres. Our work one was hit over the weekend and it’s still having issues today. Something to do with the “storms” down South. Which having seen pictures of the M6 at the weekend, a boat and skis would have been a faster way to travel rather than being stuck in five hours of traffic :frowning:

Data doesn’t travel by boat.

Or skis.

:sunglasses:

How does the internet get to the USA or Canada then?

Submarine or scheduled flight…

Makes sense. Is that why i get lag when downloading?

Uneccessary “dramatic”…

GMG…unorganised staff who do not have methodical way of doing things! Oh and untidy desks!

…pauses on TV programmes.

Masterchef winds me up terribly every time.

Adults who join (and stay in) the ACO just because they like shouting at children.