Yet another Question

Well indeed, Valiant makes a good point. I’ve been chatting to a few junior (and some quite senior) regular officers and they all agree that time in Cadets will help you through Cranwell, especially Term 1 (which is a lot of ‘greens’ aka military skills), but also with the academic parts of Term 2.

The above is based on joining as an Officer though. Not sure about other ranks.

3 Likes

We have intake months every 3-6 months depending on current numbers due to the show box we are in but we often get 1-2 new cadets minimum a month just turn up and we would never think to tell them ‘you have to come back in 3 months’ “Right Johnny, Air Cadets don’t want you so next step is Sea Cadets…failing them you can always join the Scouts”

If I got told I’d have to wait to join a group, I’d be onto Google quicker that ###### inboxing about Brexit to find somewhere else to join.

1 Like

@WestlandScout That needs to be quantified as to what it is, how beneficial it is and to what extent, when there will be more who get through it without having been in the ATC, regardless of it being OR, or, commission entry. It’s all well and good
It doesn’t get away from the fact that you need solid academic achievement to get a foot in the door. Being in the ATC, won’t replace this requirement.

@Valiant yep I mention about the only things that you will be “taught” and expected to know / do and these are of limited value outside basic training . But as I say above far more get into the RAF and succeed without any ATC background and saying I looked it up on the internet now makes no real difference, given how widely it’s used.

@DontCallMeSir When we moved to intakes we did so after a lot of deliberation, but kept on taking cadets as they turned up, so much that it made the idea of intakes pointless, but we were scared of losing potential cadets like you say. The bloke who was looking after basic training at the time (he was a project manage in real life and treated it like that with milestones) was at his wits end, as we has moved away from what we had planned to do, ie have stabilised basic training programme. So we discussed it and came with a compromise of cadets joining 6 weeks after the intake. If they come after they are told they have to wait, we take some details, give them some info and then email them a month before the intake. Most come back and IMO those that don’t well no point in crying over spilt milk.

We take throughout the year except for over the summer months where we explain the situation and find people happy to wait until September when we do our main recruitment push and intake.

We don’t have any problems with people being asked to wait a few months once we explain why (either because summer or because year 8). We tend to get a lot of enquiries that specifically ask if there’s a waiting list and if so can they be put on it.

1 Like

@JSC The outgoing Air Chief Marshall Sir Stephen Hillier was an air cadet for five years. If you want to be in this organisation, go for it and it certainly will assist you in whatever career path you wish to go down.

4 Likes

We take upto a fortnight after an intake starts, after that it’s a 5 and a half month wait. We take details and email out a reminder shortly before, I would say we lose less than 20% and that’s a price I’m willing to pay for a a Training Programme that works. When we do have an intake we lose very few…

1 Like

Thank you @Valiant

1 Like

Yep, they have a website with contact info there.

He made reference to this when he presented our annual awards. :wink:

He also mentioned that a very high percentage of serving officers across the Services had been an Air Cadet - if my memory is correct, the highest number is the Army!!

There are numerous skills / character-enhancing aspects, levels of organisation / responsibility, whatever, that are directly transferable to any application to join the Services. Yes, you need to have gained the necessary academic qualifications, but from having been an instructor at DIOT, the RAF would always select an ex-cadet first (assuming similar board grade / aptitude scores of course). Likewise, whilst you cannot knock anyone for lack of motivation to join the Services “because they saw the TV advert,” longer term motivation (i.e. a cadet for XX yrs) will always stand you in good stead.

I’ve had similar thoughts expressed over the last couple of years by local CIO personnel - & in general, cadets (or recently ex-cadets) sail through any initial filter interviews / assessments.

3 Likes

Based on your vast empirical knowledge of RAF basic training?

3 Likes

I guess he doesn’t teach his cadets leadership, self confidence, an ability to think on their feet, problem solving etc…

3 Likes

Well that’s impossible

So my friend is now applying to join my original choice squadron so thats awesome. Also, I tried getting back in communication with the Sqd Sgt at my local Sqd and my message was read and not replied to [10 days since then], so thats an oof.

And I dont know what to say in order to get them to actually reply.

Hi there I messaged you near 2 weeks ago and have not had any communications back, I was wanting to check if you had received my message.

Something along those lines although I’m sure you could word it better. I’m impatient or an in patient…either way I don’t like waiting :rofl:

Thank you😂

Worst case just turn up on a Parade Night with a parent. You might not be able to join their and the. But you would hopefully get some answers.

2 Likes

This story really frustrates me. We can count on two hands how many cadets we get on a parade night at the minute and that’s often generous… we would be biting your hand off @JSC.

@Valiant Thats quite an important thing I should know. Thanks. I didnt realise. I honestly thought there would be a greater number in staff. That must be really hard to deal with…

It turns out they were about to message me today