WO No1 Uniform jacket- Which one to wear!?!

Are there any AGS instructors that are not qualified as Aircrew? They (certainly used to be) qualified 2FTS instructors.

Define qualified: I think I know of one who is not “2 FTS qualified” - but is a real world pilot.

i was under the impression if primary role was with the VGS it was AC rank slides all round, regardless of their ground/air role…

1 Like

There definitely could be AGS instructors who aren’t qualified RAFAC aircrew, yes (though no doubt many have civilian qualifications)

And do these CFAV wear Aircrew Rank Slides? It was explained to me when I accompanied some cadets to a VGS pre lock down that their Sqn Adj was not a pilot/ instructor and as such wore standard RAFAC rank slides, even though he was 2FTS.

No RAFAC personnel*** should wear RAF aircrew rank slides. They are not so qualified.

(*** unless of course, previously RAF aircrew brevet qualified.)

They don’t. They wear RAFAC Aircrew rank slides

They are not aircrew, regardless.

I agree. But the powers that be in the RAF approved the change.

I think I was answering a different question @MikeJenvey:

So I know people that are not “2FTS qualified” aircrew but do help on AGS. I don’t know what rank slides they wear but would assume regular RAFAC ones…

1 Like

This is a point you have tried to argue before. Everyone agrees that VGS are not RAF Aircrew, but they are RAFAC Aircrew. Do you believe that a BA 747 captain is not ‘aircrew’ because they have not been through that RAF training syllabus, or that the pilot of a light aircraft is not ‘aircrew’ and therefore can’t go in to ‘aircrew only’ areas at airfields?

What someone has in their mind as being a valid use of the term ‘aircrew’ is not what is at debate here - it’s which CFAV wear aircrew rank slides.

4 Likes

Yeah if you have supernumerary staff that are not under the primary responsibility of 2FTS but are mainstream RAFAC they wear the non aircrew rank slides, but If they were transferred into 2FTS then they would wear the aircrew rank slides

1 Like

So less about qualification and more just about primary posting. Makes sense, thanks.

Actually, I often suspect that RAF aircrew do indeed think that.

1 Like

I know that.

1 Like

So, staying on badging and rank slides. Could someone please tell me which sleeve badges are to be worn with No1 dress. Is it the white Royal Arms or the coloured ones or are they just for regional
WO

All WOs now wear these ones, be careful the non issue varient avaliable on all usual sources look like a childs tried to copy them

Thank you for that

Does anyone have a good place to buy some WO rank bages that don’t look like a 2 year old has drawn them. Seen some on ebay that look good but its £30 +pp for a pair :tired_face:

Wyedean come in and out of stock.
Currently they’re out, but keep checking or sign up to be notified when they restock.

1 Like