Why has the WHT changed

One for all the skillies out there:

I did a L98 WHT for the first time in 3 years, only to find things such as “handing over the weapon” and “make safe” have been removed.

Why is this?

Tia

Constant review and revision by the forces, and update from the Small Arms School Corps (SASC).

Its an “Army” weapon, so they take the lead on it.

It’s due to change again soon, I think it was held off for a bit longer by the working group last week though.

1 Like

Clues please?

1 Like

Some significant changes so not something I would want to put out to avoid confusion until it’s actually a thing.

3 Likes

But like, handing over a weapon is a key skills, why isn’t it tested?

Correct trigger operation a more important skill but not tested.

They didn’t seem it worth the time compromise I guess but never heard of a reasoning.

1 Like

Making safe never made any sense to me until I did JL and saw it used in ‘anger’. In a range setting, it was entirely pointless.

1 Like

Yeah, in the field and in certain range management scenarios a useful tool.

It isn’t tested, but the handing over is assessed in the lessons.

Used it in anger on a few ranges before.

Normally when they are told to load the wrong magazine…

Its a useful tool

2 Likes

Solved by only giving them one magazine at a time. Of course if you take the mags from the wrong pile…

I guess if you have been taught all the lessons properly, and can remember how to do both NSPs and an unload, you can do the other drills that aren’t tested as part of the WHT.

Used to be in some mainstream military competitions. Procedurally, it was quite good in linking the 2 items (load / unload) which demonstrated correct knowledge protocols in one structured process.

2 Likes

Except that CTR now explicitly requires mags to be filled by cadets on the firing point.

1 Like

Completely agree. I use it most when being OPFOR/enemy.

1 Like

Correct - which now adds to the range admin “faff” rather than a very quick collect of filled mags & crack on!

Oh good, I was just wondering what we would do with all the extra time we have on the range /s

1 Like

Nothing wrong with getting the Ammo Orderly to bomb up detail 1’s magazines, while they are still faffing with putting targets up, or taking 45 minutes to clean a wpn thats just come out of the armoury…

When they are on the firing point (finally…), then detail 2 can bomb up their own mags under supervision, while detail 1 are firing…

I agree.

Except that the book specifically says firers must fill their own mags on the firing point.

Anything else is no longer allowed.

2 Likes

Which also makes it easier for a round to “missing”.

I don’t suppose we could challenge/request an exemption on the grounds that cadets aren’t vetted?

Regarding the make safe I used it several times as an RCO particularly after a rapid or snap followed by a grouping/application. I certainly highlighted who were competent with the weapon & who weren’t.