Why has the WHT changed

That’s not good practice. Firers should be filling their mags on the firing point under the supervision of the SS.

Waiting details shouldn’t have ammo.

2 Likes

The only time I had a round go ‘missing’ it went missing between the ammo point (cadet FS bombing up) and the magazine entering the rifle. The cadet slipped it out and into a pocket.

Luckily I was rescued by the declaration process, because a cadet caught me afterwards and said ‘Sir, you need to know something.’

The round was recovered and the cadet was expelled from the school… but it wasn’t in any way his first offence. Still, the Army were delighted we had been seen to take it very seriously!

2 Likes

Every time I read that title, I end up with this in my head…

Why the tedious approach of getting cadets to load their own magazines? What is the supposed benefit? Make it a “first detail only” procedure if needed to give “experience” of loading a magazine.

For me, the quickest / safest way was for an ammo orderly to load up the mags - & then distribute them to cadets on the firing point.

No loose / lost rounds / rounds not located correctly in magazines / incorrect round count in magazines / no bun fight at ammo location = cadets remained on the FP under supervision with ammo given directly to them for stowage in pouches.

Best use of range time & no compromise to safety - if anything, safety was enhanced.

6 Likes

I’m sure you mean fill and not load :wink:

It’s a skill and they should practice it. No one to fill their mags for them in the field when we need them to be efficient at doing it so as it doesn’t bog the day down.

Hmmm, how many cadets experience that compared to cadets on L98 range time? And of course, in the field, hopefully means blank rounds?

When previously included in the WHT, cadets had to “fill” a 10 rd magazine - so say every 6 - 9 months depending on their range allocation. What has changed to make them do this for every magazine, every detail, for LFMT?

Sorry, I just don’t see any credible benefits. It’s a pointless exercise that wastes time.

4 Likes

Preach

3 Likes

if handing the weapon over has been removed from L98 WHT why is it still part if the L144 WHT?
It seems weird to me when the only weapon ive ever had to “hand over” with that drill was the L98.

1 Like

Do you still have to wear webbing to shoot?

For L98, yes

1 Like

So, just to clarify, I must carry webbing, which has empty magazines, that I have to take out of my webbing, to fill with rounds, to put back in the webbing, all while at the firing point?

3 Likes

Beat me to it :blush:

You can carry the empty magazines in your hands to the firing point if you wish

We don’t help ourselves do we?

Yes. That’s how it should always have been with the L98.

1 Like

I did it earlier this year, and handing over the weapon was still done, butake safe was omitted. Did it with ACF.

Uhhhhh…

My wing don’t do this.

Well, I’m glad my wing shoots used to ignore that nonsense!

2 Likes

The desire to slow down as many activities we do thus reduces the activity time and therefore risk.
Firing 100 tounds in a day is less risky than 500 and so top brass are kept happy as risks have been reduced
[/cynic]

1 Like

They were both removed from the WHT at the same time so whoever did the test did it incorrectly. Just look at the WHT at the end of the L98 PAM.

I understand this as a factor in the decision making, however i dont see the benfit of doing it on the firing point. Forgive me if im wrong or uninformed but surely moving rounds around outside of magazines and to firing points is only increasing the risk of losing or “misplacing” a round - especially on outdoor ranges with grass firing points - which even if its found just adds to the amount of time wasted. why isn’t it a better option to have a detail of cadets fill their own magazines in a designated area under appropriate supervision, hand the magazine to a safety supervisor and continue as normal from there?