Why doesn't the ATC and the CCF (RAF) work together more?

Maybe that is where we got our wires crossed as in my mind I had ccf(Raf) mainly as this is an air cadet forum and we have 2 ccf(raf) units near our sqn. Guess at some stage the will 3 senior officers in same office soon ad I will agree there cannot be 1 decision for 1 unit snd a different unit for others. The way our regs are written dont help either, AP defined definition of RAFAC and Air Cadet then only goes on about ATC. Why can’t life be simple :frowning:

I suspect the next 12 months will lead to either Comdt RAFAC discovering what the limits of that command actually are; or some changes to the legal structure of the CCF. The problem with the latter is that it will need tri-service agreement, which is not easy to achieve. And CDS probably has better things to worry about…

3 Likes

I was just watching a video on the CCF. If anything I find it an interesting concept.

I see that there was a way that CCF cadets of a different section could take part in actives for another section.

It showed a CCF Army cadet on a weekend sailing with the CCF Navy.

I don’t know quite how that would play out admin wise but that’s what I saw a photo of on this promotional video. For the record this video was posted to YouTube 3 months ago so is relatively recent.

Once again, the CCF is a very interesting concept. I was given somewhat of a window into it via that camp and that radio weekend. I must admit there’s a bit of intrigue on my part.

I can expand on that:

Historically, CLC at Frimley Park - an ACF run leadership course - has taken cadets from Air, Sea, ACF, CCF, and Welbeck College plus Canadian Army Cadets.

ACLC is ATC + CCF(RAF)

JL has ATC, CCF(RAF), and ACF.

It’s not impossible, but can just be far easier with greater benefit at those larger scales.

Also I saw plenty of cadets with the L98 cadet rifle doing blank firing exercises on the school property.

Forgive me but while I know many schools have a small rifle range with a small number of .22 rifles (or similar) or air rifles. I doubt a private school (most of them are) has a military grade armoury on site?

I recall that when we did an L98 WHT the wing shooting officer would collect the rifles from the local military armouryabd bring these to the Sqn, and would sign them back in at the first available opportunity. Likely 1st thing after the parade night.

Nope most who store L98s have a full armoury some schools have had larger & more secure than some RAF stations. A lot of ACF units have similar armouries although I appreciate it’s almost an alien concept in the air cadet world.

3 Likes

My school as a cadet had a full on armoury where we stored everything up to GMPG, flash bangs, smoke grenades etc.
My first school as a CFAV had a small armoury with L98s. Current school doesn’t even have anywhere to store wooden cut outs.

Sounds pretty cool. Learn something new everyday.

1 Like

Biggest issue with this is when the blank firing exercise is going over the school golf course and the golfers get annoyed that you launch your section action from a bunker and go across the green.

1 Like

What annoys the poop out of me is that schools can keep section 5 weapons in some pretty off places. (Been to a few CCFs and always makes be jealous, that they can hold them and we cant).

Yet a Sqn with a Benweld, in a concrete lined room, inside a brick building, with a building alarm and room alarm, all inside a secure perimeter fence cant.

Fudge.

2 Likes

Shared armoury with the ACF who can store 30 live L98s and the ATC get tutted on for wanting to have a couple of air rifles in a benweld in the same room.

3 Likes

It’s because we do firearms in school correctly, unlike the yanks, so can be trusted (not suggesting the ATC don’t do firearms correctly. I’d certainly trust an ATC CFAV more than an ACF one so the difference in rules is silly). My brother’s Texan husband was horrified that we had weapons on school grounds. He said it’s bad enough there already without the school supplying them.

1 Like

The ACF also used to allow air cadets on their comms course at Blandford Garrison. It was rare but did happen. I was one of a few lucky ones to do it, and funnily enough they had a CCF(RAF) officer as one of the instructors who was very surprised to see me, and Air Cadet, on the course!

Maybe as commandant he has the right to command over all members of RAFAC including CCF(RAF), and works with ACF and SC so all cadet forces do the samething. I an sure headteachers respect the powers that be when it comes to obeying command orders. However may be considering a more regional approach when possible

Expanding further RIAT is ATC + CCF with a number of CCF staff picking up senior roles too

I’m not.

And why should they be? Look at it from their viewpoint; it’s their pupils doing a club in their school with their teachers on their time. And they can always just can it off if it’s too much of a problem.

I’ve seen on OIC teachers outright dismissing the stuff that was being said, and the staff just had to let it slide, as what can they actually do?

2 Likes

I think we’ve covered camps, but aerospace camp was a nice blend of atc and ccf staff and cadets.

2 Likes

Well if you don’t like a CofC why be jn a military organisation, ultimately if people do their own thing and it goes wrong guess who will be in the poop give you a clue it won’t be the bosses

So to bring it back on subject this thread seems to highlight why some of the ATC and CCF do not cooperate as much as we could. Seems to be mixture of different attitudes and poor defined bounderies between regulations. Which is a shame as together there is mire resources but everyone needs to he on the same playing field.

Well depends on the context, ultimately the “bosses” are the duty holders and are accountable, but yes, we all have a responsibility to act in accordance with regulations and legislation, even if that means “going against your boss”