Who takes final parade

Hey all,

Just a question out of curiosity to be honest

But on your squadron, who takes final parades is it a cadet or do the staff?

On my unit… Senior Cadet NCO forms the little ones up… Then the OC takes over… Remainder of the staff just linger about behind the Squad

1 Like

I’ve seen all sorts of combinations over the years of who takes final parade.

@AlexCorbin probably has the most common way I’ve seen it done. It’s the same at my sqn.

All depends on what the OC/Staff want and what the capabilities and structure of the cadet NCOs is.

It also changes a bit in summer for us when we are able to parade outside (in the 3 days a year it’s warm enough).

1 Like

Also size of building is the major contributor… If I had my way the Sqn would be doing an Advance in review order every night :joy::joy:

1 Like

Yes, this. It’s the kind of thing that seems to be unique to every Sqn. My cdt sqn was that the duty NCO took it (we didn’t differentiate between duty J & SNCO as some units do). I’ve seen some where it’s always the Senior Cdt NCO present, some where it’s always the Adult NCO, or where the Duty Cdt NCO hands over to the Duty Staff Member

I was a cdt in the North and we did outside parades from about Easter to September, unless it was raining :cold_face:

2 Likes

so there is no rule etc on who should take it

1 Like

If you want the technical answer review squadron drill in ap818 it’s not quite a clear cut answer, depends at which stage of the parade it is

4 Likes

And it even changes whilst still at the same squadron! In my time as a cadet we must have had about 3 different ways of doing it. By the time I was the Sqn CWO we had the flight commanders form up the flights then I came on and took over, then the OC took over from me.

1 Like

Loving the technical language :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Preambulate on the spot then

1 Like

And then it was jeltex time :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Assume there is a reason behind your question?

What’s the issue? Might help us understand what you want to know?

1 Like

I’ve done it different at every Squadron I’ve been at and it varies based on time of year as that changed the space available.

In my ideal time and space we paraded by flight with the Cadet NCO’s in front of each flight and an Officer taking over from the CWO or the Adult SNCO. The rest of staff had already done their talking bits and stood to one side before I turned up.

1 Like

No particular reason, during curious what happens at different squadrons

In that case, simple rule: whoever the OC says!

1 Like

We always have the most senior nco take ours… then the boss takes over/calls them back to dismiss parade.

I much prefer to perambulate in the background rather than linger… but only because we’re from down south and we’re posh around here.

2 Likes

I like to wonder too… Got to make sure they don’t face plant the floor

I try not to keep them there that long!

1 Like

Pre-Covid, our squadron formed up in flights, the most senior cadet NCO (usually the CWO) took over, followed by the SWO and then the OC (though the SWO was also OIC for a short period and took over directly from the cadet NCO). The rest of the staff stood at either side of the hall.

It’s obviously slimmed down at the moment due to the restrictions on numbers…

We have senior cadet NCO at the very front. Flight commanders next in front of flights. Uniformed staff at the back and CIs along the side.