When to use TG21/22/23 forms?

Another argument for doing things via the cadet portal?

Exactly!! Iā€™m not sure the organisation understands this issue, as it just adds paperwork without thinking things through!!

ā€œPermission is given to participate in all appropriate activities.ā€ taken from the TG21

is it the failing of the form author for not indicating what those activities might be - or the signatory for not questioning what these activities might be??

1 Like

Certainly in the AT field the view of those running NGB Courses is that responsibility lies with the person running the activities to inform the parents as to what is going to be taking place.

as i predicted - so then it raises the question - what should accompany a TG21 form to answer that ignorance.

a set of JIs is pointless as that is the pick up and drop off points with a kit list (ignoring the fact no one would be on a camp and have JIs without a TG form and money sent in about 3 years prior to the overnight stay).

so should parents expect a timetable of events for a camp/other activity?

ie - how do we fix this issue in a robust fashion??

For me the letter that goes home with the form should be sufficient, I load a PDF version onto Bader job done.

1 Like

what is this you speak of??

what does it include?
is this something you as Squadron Staff produce or something Wing/the Camp Com produces for you?

For things thatā€™s I run and am creating the Bader application for itā€™s something i produce. This goes for things I run at Squadron or Wing Level.

so it is only you doing thisā€¦but what is itā€¦you havenā€™t answered what is in the letter

May be included in JIs issued to cadets?

Iā€™m not the only one, I stole my version from one of our Rock Climbing Instructors. Itā€™s the standard letter home but instead of just ā€œhey we are going on an Expedition it costs Ā£X please return a consent formā€ it provides details of what the Expedition actually entails so that the parents can give informed consent. So they know that little Johnny will be on their own whilst our walking, that they will be unsupervised overnight, that they will be cooking their own food using gas stoves etc

By the time we get to JIā€™s and Admin Orders itā€™s too late as they have already submitted a TG21 with no idea of what for.

Would be good to see a copy of that if possible to use as a template.

Personally I tend to send detailed JIs out with TG21/23 forms attached in the hope the parents would read through them before signing the consent forms. Obviously it depends on the activity with overnight camps and AT requiring detailed JIs (sometime timetables too) whilst for sports I wouldnā€™t bother with JIs.

My wing wants TG forms with the money in Feb, while the camp programme may never get to the sqn let alone the cadet by the time they depart. So no chance if informed consent there.

1 Like

which is precisely my point

it is not unusual to see Wing moaning either at a lack of interest or nominations going forward but no paperwork (TG forms) or cash ~4 months ahead of the camp yet the Staff team hasnā€™t been confirmed at that time let alone what the programme of events might look like.

its sounds @daws1159 that you have a workable system in place for the events that you are involved in and are within the Squadron control/organisation. but what happens for Wing events? be that a development course or annual camp?

My opinion is that the fault is all with the person who holds the information.
The signatory who signs, can only give their consent with the information supplied on the form used to gain consent (hence my concern with the TG21).
Unless you provide more information, as daws1159 does, how can the signatory be informed?
For example RIAT Camp. There is lots of information about what happens at RIAT all over the web and social media, but a TG21 does not direct anyone to that information or ask for confirmation that the signatory has seen this information and agrees to their child taking part!

It is a big issue in the Overseas Expedition Sector, especially after some very serious incidents.

A consent form is pointless unless the signatory knows what they are signing for as it is clear in the paperwork!

Wing Events which I donā€™t run I canā€™t do much about, for things like courses which are low risk or sports which are self explanatory itā€™s not really an issue. (If you sign a consent form for Football it can be safely assumed you know whatā€™s happening).

The big one for me is Annual Camps where the DDH isnā€™t even in the RAFAC as itā€™s the Station Commander and the NACATC camps where all thatā€™s sent out are quite vague JIā€™s.

The other problem that has not been spoken of is overseas camps or IACE, and consent to hospital treatment as you will come under that countries laws regarding child care and treatment. When we had RAF hospitals in Cyprus and Germany, and an RN one in Gibralter then it was far easier. Now you have to access local providers, that is where it becomes far more tricky.

Does anyone know exactly what is going to happen?
All activity programmes can change like the wind, so we donā€™t really have much idea.

I was going to make this exact point - you canā€™t account for everything.

The list would be too long for starters, then thereā€™s bound to be an opportunity or activity that crops up that you missed off. Thatā€™s before you get the "you said my son/daughter would do this, weā€™re not happy and theyā€™re incredibly upset as they were really looking forward to it. Not saying itā€™s right, but itā€™s an earache thatā€™s bound to pop up and one thatā€™s not worth risking.

Iā€™m not saying you can, but using a generic one size fits all form is not what we should be doing.

I have led many overseas expeditions to Jungle, Altitude and very remote locations (not all at the same time!!). I held parents meetings prior to departure, giving a full itinerary and made all the risk assessments available to anyone who wanted to see them.

You can never cover all occurrences, but I think it is important to show you tried, like daws1159 with his DofE letter!

Remember, it wonā€™t be HQAC having to explain themselves, it will be the activity leader!!

2 Likes