What in the BLUE HELL is this!? Part 2

I’m not a fan… They hug the belly too much

3 Likes

I find the jumpers do this, V neck seems to do it less than the round neck…

Not sure if it is the fault of the jumper, or the fact that I quite like pie :joy:

I find the jumpers worse

Really want one of these.

Where did you get yours?

Ebay is your friend

1 Like

My OC magics kit out of thin air and he let me buy it off him - it is fantastic!

I have seen them on eBay etc.

Sorry to not be of more help!

1 Like

My greatcoat has kept me warm on many a mid-winter’s night whilst waiting for the train home at 2245 on a windy platform after finishing at the Squadron. I wouldn’t be without it.

Just noticing the picture used in 1358c the coat has blue buttons, but I have shiny No.1 style buttons on mine - am I wrong?

I certainly knew of an OC Wing who wore one (he is, or maybe now was, also a VGS instructor so not totally out of order, although one of my officers did accuse him of wearing his poppy carefully to hide the G on the wings badge)

Does he also sign his emails “RAF ac” ? Which I’ve seen more than one person do.

The forum has edited out the extra spaces in there

1 Like

No. You’re good.
The one in the photo has been converted. Commonly referred to as a “British Warm” they were somewhat civilianified by removing the 10 brass/staybright buttons and replacing with 6 blue leather buttons.
Often the coat was shortened and the rear half belt removed as well.

3 Likes

cringe

I was recently on a zoom call and in the ice breaker an attendee proudly announced they were a major in the Army Reserve… This interested me so I followed up with a few questions, turns out they are in the ACF…

3 Likes

The irony being that that coat now looks nothing like an actual great coat!

Does Foley still have that coat?

In the good old days, you could wear them as a cadet SNCO. :scream_cat:

Always used to wear mine in the mob when it was brass monkey weather. The wind used to whistle right around the Kyber Pass in the open at Cranditz, always warm with my great coat on. :+1:

Seems very strange to limit them to ceremonial duties now.

1 Like

see i thought it was black.

I knew of a VGS pilot who was also seen on the odd non VGS events (odd as you’d expect them to be busy on the airfield on the weekends) and would typically be seen in a “leather flying jacket” and although i never got close enough view the jacket up close always looked black to me, perhaps it was a very dark navy blue, but certainly not as a blue as the first photo suggests. and much more like the AP1358C photo - which to me looks more black than it does blue

on the topic of great coats Vs GPJ - can’t say i have the former, but very grateful for the optional inner liner (gillet) on the GPJ on those colder events!

I’d imagine it’s one of those things that alters slightly whenever a new supplier kicks in. I’ve seen them worn by regulars and they have either a blue/grey or black tint.

The RAF line for a long while has been: “Loan pool greatcoats issued for ceremonial as required; privately owned greatcoats can be worn routinely as an option”.

Still have mine, Made by R E City (I must have bought it at Cranditz). Great bit of kit for things like Remembrance Sunday.

I’ve yet to experience a Remembrance Sunday cold enough to warrant the greatcoat… Even in the depths of the Valleys it was rarely cold; just wet.

1 Like

I’ll send you off to Altnaharra’s Remembrance Parade this year, just so you can make use of your greatcoat :wink:

(edit: actually, looking at the data, Braemar is probably more likely to be the coldest UK place on Nov 11th)

1 Like