Wg Cdr wearing Fg Off tapes

Can anyone explain this to me ?

A quick search tells me he is an RAF Reserve Officer having previously held a regular commission, so why would he be badged up with RAFAC Flying Officer tapes? Surely someone can’t have an RAFR and CFC commission in two different ranks? Even if that was a thing then shouldn’t he be known by known by his CFC ranks by the VGS? :face_with_monocle:

Yeah this confused me

Truth be told, we’re all just Flying Officers really, except the Pilot Officers of course.

(Or, we were, is that still a thing?)

1 Like

Maybe he forgot his growbag and borrowed someone else’s and forgot about the rank :rofl:

1 Like

John Ford is a good example he was an Air Commodore in the RAFR and a Fg Off in the RAFVR(T) when he was an AEF pilot

3 Likes

i am sure i heard of this (not necessarily the same pilot) happening too.

I want to say some seriously senior officer (as in was called Sir not because he was an officer but because the Queen’s sword touched his shoulders) who was Fg off AEF on the weekends…

Either I dreamed it, or I was reading something specifically related to this situation (two different ranks for two different roles) within the pat few days… But where?..

I’ve met an AEF pilot who says he’s a Flg Off VR(T) and Sqn Ldr (CFC). But I would assume that he would be addressed by whichever rank is appropriate at the time, not always by the highest

I think it’s something to do with seniority.

The OC Sqn is Sqn Ldr. so, The other pilots will assume a subordinate rank to allow chain of command.

Seen this on AEF, where the board shows AVM Bloggs RAFR, DFC and Bar, but wears Fg Off Tapes on duty.

Hmm - When I was a cadet I flew AEF with an AVM in a Bulldog. I remember thinking he was really senior by his rank tabs.

So have I.

I think it’s the Ex Officers, who held the rank, but revert to being Fg Off Bloggs for flying ops.

On paper they have the seniority and experience, but have been given the rank to allow a chain of command, to show whose actually running the show.

Seen a cadet squadron Plt Off OC, with Fg Offs, Flt Lts and a Sqn Ldr as Squadron officers.

Part time reservists can only wear rank when they are on duty / paid for their primary role. Other roles will require an additional commission for that role.

Chain of command and flying supervision can be totally different. AEFs have many pilots under flying supervision of OC AEF but not under command - rank is irrelevant.

Interesting - so the RNR Lieutenant (a former ATC cadet) that is a Service Helper in our wing shouldn’t be wearing her uniform or rank when supporting RAFAC?

as i understand it - reservists regardless of force are always SI and are permitted to wear their uniform even if they are not wearing it in their “primary role”

actually, it’s up to both their OC and OC Wing - this was discussed at a meeting I was at where an OC Wg was present

ok i stand corrected.

in my experience and those of reservist friends out side of my wing they all wear uniform - i guess OCs are happy for uniform personnel to wear uniform and act in such a manner

RAF Reservist officer, as an SI but also OC of a Sqn in the South…

3 Likes

John Ford was Air Commodore RAF Ret’d, Group Captain RAFR and Fg Off RAFVR(T) I believe. That’s three hats!!!

4 Likes

That’s the closes I’ve ever seen of just completing the RAF

2 Likes

Very many years ago our Wing Admin Officer (that position is now titled WExO) held the rank of Squadron Leader (as a RAF Reserve Officer).
He was a retired Wing Commander in the RAF (a Wellington pilot in the Second World War) so was entitled to wear that rank at appropriate functions.
At the time, he was also a Chipmunk pilot at our AEF and for that role held the rank of Flying Officer RAFVR.
So he could legitimately wear a uniform in any of the three ranks dependent upon what he was doing at the time!

1 Like