Wg Cdr wearing Fg Off tapes

5csa0k

10 Likes

And from my very brief interaction with him as a cadet, was also an all round good guy!

He did my commissioning board - so really it’s all his fault.

1 Like

I know another WAdO who was similar.

Retired RAF Wing Commander, RAFVR(T) Sqn Ldr and had some other rank through a CCF he was part of. All very confusing and he had a lot of different uniforms knocking about depending on what he was doing that weekend.

What else would there be? Maybe some time in the UAS and the regiment?
Or the Aux?

1 Like

I’m not a million miles away from full set. RAF, RAFVR, RAFVR(T) and CFC. Though I imagine there’ll be a few with that combo.

3 Likes

As others have said it very much requires the authorisation of the primary chain of command; if people are wearing uniform and acting ‘on duty’ outside of their primary role without authorisation it opens up everyone to a whole world or trouble especially if they get hurt or do something naughty…

Ahh so it seems legit maybe but unusual that someone may have two commissions with different ranks.

Why would the VGS refer to someone though by the rank that’s not relevant on the context?

ACM Sir Roger Austin turned up at 6AEF as Fg Off Sir Roger. This caused me much confusion as the Squippers called him Sir Roger.

He greatly enjoyed the cadets having no idea who he was and just treating him like the other pilots. Being toadied to gets boring. (I’m told.)

Reminds me of the time I did my One Star Kayak as a staff member, so was effectively one of the cadets doing the same course. It was bliss tbh, no responsibilities, all the perks (I could drink in the bar, had single officer accommodation and was allocated driving to the lake, so could choose the tunes.) I had a great weekend.

I also was allowed to do the high ropes, as I had paid the full course fee, which was included!

2 Likes

Not that unusual.

One can be a Fg Off in the RAuxAF and a Wg Cdr in the RAFAC at the same time. I think the only combination you can’t have (obviously!) is holding both a regular and reserve commission at the same time.

I’ve known several ATC WO’s who were SAC’s in the RAuxAF. In fact, I know one guy who was an AC (Aircraftsman, not Air Commodore!) in the RAuxAF whilst being a Flt Lt in the CCF(RAF). I’m fairly sure that wasn’t permitted but he must have somehow slipped through the net.

We had a Cpl from the TA in our CCF as an Army section officer - but that was before JPA which I think would have caught that one. I’m sure it wasn’t allowed! She was a non-teaching member of school staff.