Weather Watchers

I ended up coming off the bike. Hit some black ice.

Now in A&E. Good times :joy:

Oof, sorry to hear that. I assume given you’re messaging it’s not as bad as last time this happened?

I was actually surprised how much grip I had this morning… I was trying to get the rear end to kick out but it stuck too well :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: Pretty good given it was -6!

Hopefully not. Tingly fingers, can’t move a thumb and shoulder and neck pain. So I’m in head blocks currently.

Limped it home, sat down and it wasn’t great.

No beds either. So I’m in the corridor currently.

Oh bloody hell mate. That’s not ideal! Fingers crossed it’s just minor damage.

Not sure your Mrs will let you back on a bike at this rate!

3 Likes

Hoping you’re not too bad. Remember in future that bikes stay shiny-side-up

1 Like

Ouch hope you are ok

Already -4° here.

I’ve started stockpiling layers for tomorrow morning’s run.

Family relative in Edmonton, Calgary, down to -44C the other night - or even slightly lower!

Only experienced -45C in Ignatievo-Blagoveshchensk, Eastern Siberia!! :cold_face: :cold_face: :cold_face:

1 Like

Put the bins out this morning, snow depth on the front lawn. Glad I walk to work, only ten mins but dressed like a polar expedition this week.

1 Like

I’m jealous! It’s just bloody cold down here, no snow.

1 Like

No snow here either, however I can see the roughly 40 miles to the coast and there are most definitely snow clouds hanging around over that way (we have clear blue skies).

There was barely any crunchy frost on the ground either, which is disappointing for -5°

Same here! Shows how dry it actually is, and how unnecessary the quantity of salt on the roads is. -5, no frost and no ice on the car!

This storm looks to be a little bit stronger than some of the others we’ve had so far this winter. I’d be interested in seeing how you all experience it.

I did see Capel Curing getting a mention on the news earlier: a gust of over 90mph!

Here, we’re now in the amber zone for wind until 0600 and forecasting much lower guests of only around 55mph.

I’m shocked we’ve not had a stop order released for the entirety of the week…

EDIT: The lights have already begun flickering here and we’re nowhere near at the strongest point of the storm yet. This could get fun.

I’ve been keeping an eye on this, and honesty, looks pretty savage. I can’t remember the last time i saw that much of the uk covered in an Amber warning!

Windy.com is looking very colourful today!

1 Like

Have you tried this model?

It’s allegedly live for the whole world, and you can click somewhere to see their current wind speeds, plus change the layer you’re viewing for more data.

1 Like

So it’s the morning after the night before and, during this morning’s run, it was clear Storm Isha had been.

I made sure to reach every nook of the village; down the cul-de-sacs, up to the higher fields and along the river valley, surveying the damage she had caused. It was shocking. I’ve never seen such a high level of destruction in all my time in this village, a whole 15 months now! A fallen tree and a shattered plant pot, both on the same day!

#WeWillRebuild

I’m not sure if it was Isha, or extreme flytipping, but there’s a large patch of roofing felt in one of our fields this morning.

We don’t felt any of our sheds. And we’re 500m from the nearest property - and they aren’t felt users either!!

Locally to me, winds were as strong, or maybe stronger (bit subjective, don’t have an anemometer, might have to buy a cheap one) as the previous storm. Whilst relatively sheltered at ground level, the range flag y’day at Honington was really streaming - would have been a very interesting day at Bisley I suspect!

The previous storm made our garden furniture (with very heavy table) go walkies in our garden. Remedial fix was carried out on Sat, just in the nick of time. The large cover originally only had small strap fittings with some equally small elastic loops on the bottom, so not all the chair legs could have an “anchor” point - & some of these broke off. So, bought an eyelet kit (supposedly 6.5mm internally) & some 6mm strong elastic 6mm cord from Fleabay, with a plan to have a double eyelet (about 10 cm apart for each of the 6 chair legs to boost the number of anchor points, using the elastic cord all the way around at the base.

Ah rookie error, no way was the 6mm elastic going through the eyelets, so had to buy another 8mm eyelet kit. However, the 8mm hole punch was too big for the 8mm eyelets - but the 6mm eyelet punch worked out to be ideal as with a bit of pushing, I could could stretch the material over the 8mm eyelet, job’s a good 'un! I also added extra pairs of eyelets to give some flexibility (pardon the pun) with the elastic loop.

Fitted the elastic around the base, such that the elastic was on the outside of the cover at each double eyelet. Tensioned the elastic & tied it off, looped elastic around all the chair legs - but then realised that I could use the spare pairs of eyelets to go inwards more & loop elastic underneath some of the chairs’ inside legs - less opportunity for the cover to balloon up & act as a sort of sail. Had some spare elastic cord so made a big loop on outside of cover, halfway down the chairs.

Plonked some spare bags of garden compost on top of table just in case. :wink:

I watched it last night at about midnight (strongest winds here) for a few mins - very effective fix - at best some of the chair legs just moved off the ground occasionally by about 0.5 cm - but the elastic loops helped pass the “load” onto other chairs = all uneventful. Might have to replace the cord annually if it stretches, but that would be less than £10 - bargain! :slight_smile:

1 Like