Weather Too Good

Wondering how this weekend’s forecast good weather is affecting your plans?

We are forecasting 24-25°c, so have been told by Wing that we must include a Climatic Injuries Risk Assessment in all SMS activities.

What are the common looking like from the rest of the country?

Reports of possible 30c, instead of here comes the sun instead it will be here comes the pause!!

3 Likes

This should form part of every activities risk assessment. The whole idea of the RA is to think about risks that might effect the activity, and plan for ways to mitigate those risks. You don’t just add things in once they become a risk. At that point, it’s too late.

Every activity should already have in place mitigation plans for if it is too hot or too cold.

Sadly, not everyone appropriately plans for this, so what we see instead is general activity cancellations instead either at a Wing, Region or HQ level.

4 Likes

Wonder if involvement at RAF Cosford Airshow will be paused :roll_eyes:

I think the thing is that some wings insist that you can’t have an integrated RA but must attach separate RAs for climatic injuries, one for hot, one for cold. It cannot be part of the other RAs for some reason.

1 Like

Different approaches to the same task across this organisation? :open_mouth: Shocked I am. /s

As far as I see it, an RA is per activity, not per risk. So by saying climatic injuries must be it’s own RA seems to just imply that getting a climatic injury is it’s self an activity! How fun.

But no, it’s not. The activity is, for example, Hill Walking. The hazard is the weather. You can further break the hazard down into heat/cold/wet etc to make the RA a bit nicer to read the control measures for each part.

3 Likes

Yes. I like RC North’s approach of ‘we will not invent any new processes in the Region’ (and I assume he takes a similarly dim view if Wings do it) but not all regions are doing that, apparently.

2 Likes

I suspect it’s an element of laziness from up on high. “Oh, I can see a Climate RA in their application, that means they must have done it” versus looking through the RA and confirming.

It’s the wrong way to run risk assessments (they’re a massive part of my day job), and not best practice, but I can see the “time efficiency” argument coming back down the line.

2 Likes

New message out this morning; currently still going ahead, but with mandatory baseball caps provided by the individual cadets.

1 Like

Baseball caps to keep your face dry.

1 Like

Why baseball caps. There are much better alternatives to protect you from the sun than a baseball cap. yes they protect your eyes from the sun but so not protect the back or sides of the head and also not the back of the neck.

Better of with a bush or tilly hat or a straw boater or nice Panama

5 Likes

crikey can you imagine that!
an RA each to cover
Transport risk
Security risk
weather risk
slips, trips and falls risk
catering risk
crossing roads risk etc etc

1 Like

What I like about palms hats is that the band is very often the stable belt of the relevant regiment/service :grin:

1 Like

This.

1 Like

The weather forecast is constantly changing. I’ve just checked it now and the Met Office are showing mostly sunny, warm with small showers.

1 Like

1 Like

Well at least it’s not a ‘pause’, yet :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Bring back slouch hats!

6 Likes

Japanese had the right idea …

1 Like

All this fuss over the potential for a nice sunny day. I will endeavour to remind my cadets to breathe in and out as well. Although for some staff members a reminder is sometimes necessary…

3 Likes