Wearing two Progressive Flying Syllabus 'Wings'

There is.

You just need to be B1

4 Likes

You’ll be able tell easily; RAFAC is the one with c#%p stitching :man_shrugging:t2:

And wonky

1 Like

You know full well what he meant. One to recognise those staff with other (often higher) flying qualifications. The limited pool of people allowed to be B1 because of the additional time commitment expected and the ridiculous policy that you need to meet operational military pilot medical standards means there are a lot of people with flying experience that could be useful which is not recognised. I know one civilian gliding instructor with years of experience who was turned away because of minor asthma which resolved over 10 years previously yet is still able to get his medical to satisfy the BGA and CAA.

Having a CFAV badge would also match up with the stated purpose behind moving the silver and gold badges to the chest rather than the shoulder.

I do not have anything above a flying scholarship and about 15 additional hours over many years so I’m not asking for something for me to wear. But I do think there should be an equivalent of the C-wings for those staff with a PPL or above. There is precedent for having flying badges for adults that wouldn’t transfer to regular service in the old UAS budgie wings which CFAVs and UAS people could wear. I appreciate it’s a little different as that required military training but it’s not too far off

5 Likes

I’ve never quite understood why AEF pilots who aren’t RAF get a Flying badge but those who have the same quals but cant commit time to a AEF but still part of the same organisation can’t

Or at least the prelim flying badge the RAF have

2 Likes

I’m more concerned about the big jump from Blue to Bronze in the new system.
At one level it does align better with the time commitment for other Bronze level quals but it seems a bit harsh to have nothing between Blue (1 flight) and a scholarship.

Its obviously why though.

Most cadets will only ever get 1 flight!

Just seen. That’s nuts.

Been a while since I’ve dealt with ACPS candidates, but not sure if they crack it out in a single weekend even if the training time is technically aligned?

Also, limited places, limited timescales, and heavily restricted on suitable candidates. For the AIR Cadets, our own PRORGRESSIVE Training Syllabus just got a lot less progressive for our raison d’etre for 90% of the organistion.

Chuckling at no longer calling them “wings” though…

Yep. We’ll never see a bronze badge, simple as that.

2 Likes

I love Gold standard…

‘Cadet get a PPL’.

I mean, how many of those do you rekon there are.
Not many!

I bet HQAC ordered 10,000 badges though!
:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

No no, it’s cadet gets a PPL from a recognised training organisation.

What’s the betting that they don’t actually recognise anybody…?

2 Likes

I sure hope there’s an as yet uncommunicated plan to pump out a greater number of scholarships with zero detriment to lower levels…

1 Like

I don’t mind them raising bronze to essentially the old ghosted solo level but I still think it’s ridiculous to give a badge for a first AEF. I would increase blue to they old bronze level, although we would need to increase the available flying for that to be workable.

I also think that relegating the flying scholarship to silver and having gold as something that you need to go outside the organisation for is wrong.

1 Like

The only recognised training training organisation is Tayside AFAIK, so a cadet will have to pay to get their PPL there or they’ll simply get the new C Badge for going solo as part of a PPL course elsewhere. My opinion = any PPL (including by the way an NPPL), should mean a cadet gets the Gold Flying Badge.

8 Likes

Agreed. If the CAA recognise the training organisation that should be sufficient.

7 Likes

Oh please don’t get me started on this.

And if it is good enough for powered flying it should be good enough for the BGA and gliding… But that’s for another thread.

3 Likes

@MikeJenvey

tenor

4 Likes

Need to be careful there - The CAA don’t approve all the providers that can deliver PPL training, I believe that they delegate approvals to other organisations like the British Balloon Club and the UK Microlight Association

You could make it a tad more specific and say that it has to be an Approved Training Organisation (ATO), which basically would cover most commercial flying clubs offering training.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Data-and-analysis/Approved-persons-and-organisations/Datasets/Lists-of-approved-persons-and-organisations/Pilot-training-providers---ATOs-and-RTFs/

1 Like

The blue level makes sense, it sounds like it’s achievable on most squadrons.
But Bronze, Silver and Gold?

How many cadets who get a scholarship don’t actually go solo?

How many PPL courses are HQAC going to run?

1 Like