Wearing a watch with No 2A (Wedgewoods) Uniform & other "rules" which are not rules

noticing the title change from watch to a free for all…

does anyone else remember having a coloured ribbon around their epaulette distinguishing which flight they were in?
it would be much like the RAFP red stripe, ours were red or green.

it was strictly only something that was worn on Sqn events and never on Wing events or camps.
i recall it went out by the time i aged out but i definitely remember them…

This is a local thing too. Still see it fairly often on Facebook posts.

We had (and still have) little coloured flashes that go behind the beret badge.

1 Like

We trust the cadets to remember which flight they are in

5 Likes

oh of the 8 units i have been on i have only seen it on one unit, the same I was a Cadet on and was phased out by the time i aged out…

i don’t feel this was for the Cadets benefit but more simply as an identifier - we trust Cadets know they are NCOs or not yet we still use ranks slides

Rank slides are in the regs.

Ranks lides are worn to identify ranks to those who dont know the individual personally.

Any extra uniform gashness that isnt in the regs. Simply marks that unit as deficient and run by imbecilles.
Cant follow simple dress regs. I wouldnt accept any SMS apps for risk to life activity from that Sqn.

After all. Rock climbing, they might choose elastic bands instead of rope… ‘because they fancy it’.

Idiots.

1 Like

Depends if they want to bunjee jump off when they get too the top :wink: .

Triggered much.

5 Likes

When Battledress was introduced into the British Army in 1937, the badging policy was MINIMAL. The hope was that the proliferation of unauthorised and divergent unit and regimental badges on the 1912 uniform could be stopped and ‘uniformity’ achieved.

By the end of WW2, nearly all of them had crept back onto the new uniforms, with unauthorised badges, hats, cockades, lanyards, foreign medals, borrowed or stolen equipment, everything.

The key thing reason it always seemed to me, for these things was unit morale, units like being different from other units to demonstrate that they are in this club, and a healthy sense of rebellion also helps with esprit de corps.

I can’t see that any of the unit commanders who allowed such things could be described as deficient or imbeciles purely on the basis of a few unauthorised badges.

If someone cant follow the regs for a simple task. How can they be assumed to follow more complex rules?

All that morale and esprit is great. Until some idiot decides not to follow requirements on a range etc.

I CAN see it both way.

But if the CoC arent going to enforce the following of one set of rules. I guess I will crack on with unauthorised blank firing then?

Because they can see the difference between health and safety rules and a dress code?

I mean, I don’t like it either, but it’s unfair to say all rules are exactly as important as each other.

3 Likes

In the same way not all crimes are as bad as each other. As I’m sure many of you will happily go over the speed limit yet don’t go round killing people.

Although if you do the latter I’d suggest not doing the former. Don’t want to bring attention to yourself.

5 Likes

Only ever break one law at a time; always a good rule of thumb :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And yet people can’t help themselves, I’ve caught a drug dealer with £20K worth of gear on him because he was shoplifting from Tesco Express.

A colleague caught a bloke who was wanted for Rape and Kidnap in Poland because they didn’t pay for the train and got stopped by a PCSO.

Criminals are idiots.

6 Likes

Well, the ones you catch…

So how do you explain the myriad of coloured rank tabs worn in training facilities all over the military? Rank slides with SATT embroidered on them. Maybe a better understanding of a training environment would solve your blinkered view.

1 Like

If it isnt in the regs it’s not allowed.

Just becuase it does happen, doesnt make it right.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with these examples you have sighted above. Except they arent in the regs.

If these things were, no issue.

1 of 2 things needs to happen.
Regs rewritten to reflect traditions and conventions. OR regs enforced.

Anything else is just gash.

Well, here’s a solution for you, put. Except if one has a reasonable excuse, after every rule in all the regs. Then it’s anyone’s game to do what they want and be withing the regs, because reasonable can be whatever you want.

Always have (and will continue) to prould wear a pen in my pen pocket… clue’s in the name!

1 Like