Wearing a watch with No 2A (Wedgewoods) Uniform & other "rules" which are not rules

Your OC needs to brush up on climatic injuries then. Ignoring the rules and putting health at risk.

13 Likes

This is exactly the sort of silly ‘rule’ which needs to die, it does noone any benefit other than making a group of cadets aesthetically pleasing.

1 Like

I do conure with you, as personally I have never read the dress regs, but after what I’ve seen in this thread and what they do in the RAF I think I might have to. As people seem to get them wrong.

Do you have SharePoint access?

@james_elliott is AP1358C up to date on Ulitlearn/Cadet portal?

Certainly if you want to become a CFAV you should.

I’ll have a look on cadet portal, even though it’s long I’m sure it’ll be worth it

You really don’t need to know it back to front… Just a working knowledge… I.e. Know where to find key elements and know the key bits relevant to you

3 Likes

Jumper season went out about 25 years ago.

“Uniform means all the same” is something I still regularly hear some people spouting and I squash it at every opportunity I get.

“Uniform” as a noun is what we’re talking about - a set of clothing which identifies someone as a member of an organisation. We all wear a uniform. Different modes of uniform for different jobs and to an extent, by personal choice.
Not “uniform” as an adjective.
The old local “all or none” rules regarding stable belts, jerseys, jetlex… need to die.

5 Likes

I had this argument when I was OC with my CFAV NCOs. They had directed that cadets all had to be dressed the same (jumper/no jumpers, blues sleeves up /blues sleeves down, Smocks / no smocks). I pointed out that it was cadets preference unless the training programme stated 2FULL - which was only OCs parade once every two months or remembrance or AFI. This was in my Squadron Standing Orders.
CFAV NCOs argued, so I then directed all staff must be dressed the same on all parade nights, and of course with me as OC I set the dress. Que some very cold NCOs taking drill in December in short sleeve shirts. Soon changed their mind and came round to my way of thinking.

4 Likes

I lost it with my old contingent commander when he singled out a cadet who had forgotten their smock by making everyone form up and then take their smocks off, making it clear that cadet X was to blame for them being cold, but everyone needed to be uniform.

2 Likes

If someone did that now I’d call them out on it then formally complain. Absolutely unacceptable.

3 Likes

I wore a jumper last night, it’s cooling off now!

I had this sort of thing happen to me as a cadet over 15 years ago, haven’t seen it happen in my time back as staff, thankfully.

Jumper season was my first battle as a sqn Cdr.

I won

5 Likes

I almost put my smock on, the other night!

1 Like

It’s probably worth adding though that there is one decent exception to a lot of what’s being said here and that’s full scale big parades. If you’re attending a formal parade then it would be expected that everyone is the same. So it will be all jumpers or no jumpers. No stable belts. No wristbands etc.

So if you’re a cadet reading this, don’t turn up to a parade and tell the WWO you don’t need to wear your jumper like everyone else because you read on here that it’s okay. However it’s always still the case that if wearing your jumper will cause you an issue, then it’s still okay to politely speak up and ask.

2 Likes

When the clock changed for winter we change the normal uniform to all to wear jumpers unless a someone requests permission to remove it for what ever reason.

After having a parent raise a BS complaint all the way to Region that her 16yo daughter got a cold at the sqn as nobody instructed her to wear her jumper when she was cold even though She never told anyone she was cold, she had her jumper with her it was left up to her. Sounds absolutely ludicrous but they alleged it was child cruelty and negligent on our part so we decided to be draconian on the matter.

1 Like

In my Wing Squadron Commanders can only promote to FS. Prospective FS’s have to go through a board process with somebody else.

With the way we treat climatic injuries, doing this is just not okay anymore though. You’re now at risk of someone overheating because they were to nervous to ask permission to remove their jumper.

It’s pretty simple really, cadets should just be told if they’re hot, take jumper off. If they’re cold, put jumper on. This is climatic injuries 101.

5 Likes

And there lies the issue
Climatic injuries say cadets are intelligent enough to decide themselves and on the other hand parents say you should decide for them….

Given it’s Scotland in October we are using common sense they will be more likely too cold than too hot

at least if you’re going to make up local rules do it right…the 1st May? that is ludicrous!
it is GMT = winter, BST = summer

at least someone got it right…