Wearing a watch with No 2A (Wedgewoods) Uniform & other "rules" which are not rules

Because the people for whom the uniform is actually made don’t do drill in it.

5 Likes

As every WO knows, the pocket is for ironing not for pens.

4 Likes

Brilliant! That’s a new one on me :smiley:
I’ve only ever heard the old “It’s not smart” BS.

1 Like

Well, as with watches and other trinkets if its inconspicuous then surely it meets the dress regs. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve heard that too… can’t have cadets getting impaled can we? Also heard people say not to in case pens burst, but that’s always been more of a tip than a rule.

Going by that logic it means we can’t put them anywhere, because if they can burst in a pocket where it’s under no pressure or strain then it must be some dodgy pen.

GPJs for NCOs was always a classic. As was SD hats for unknown reasons. Sqn ID badge and identification badge on LLC brassards you see sometimes. Wearing MTP UBACS for no reason.

To be fair, the sqn ID badge and ATC mudguard on the second brassard does look a damn sight better than the blank buttonhole.

1 Like

SD hates for CWO’s did used to be in the dress regs many moons ago.

Sadly, that is as I anticipated.
Cdt SNCOs trussed up in ties whilst the staff chill out in short sleeves or civies.

Bad form.

6 Likes

this one i always put down to supply.

with only 12 GPJs “on stock” easier to distribute them to the 10 NCOs than it be a lucky random 10

If I had to wear Wedgwood’s every parade night I wouldn’t mind, even if the staff showed up in civvies.

But I can understand why some cadet’s may not appreciate the effort.

1 Like

In my experience, the SNCOs are the ones who want the ties, I’ve always tried to avoid them doing it.

5 Likes

Why did they have them in the first place, though? Cadets aren’t scaled for them.

A few years ago, they were available when they were gifted to squadrons in bags of part worn kit.

That’s how I got mine as a CWO.

When the mash of OCs discretion/handed down instructions/my mates used to wear battledress like this… Was stopped and we had AP1358C issued it was removed, and placed as staff only.

Having seen the old ACP20B/AP1919 for dress regs, and what was written in the old ACP31 1st class books (if you don’t remember these kids, ask a Warrant Officer), I’m glad that we have 1358C now.

I’ve seen many things on squadron over the years, lots of “we’ve always done it this way”

But, people will still want to be ally, and wear what the regulars are wearing, hence UBACs, Osprey/Virtus that’s appearing.

They were everywhere in the early 00s, back when the RAF were much freer with their rubbish.

2 Likes

Bet they would not have been so keen on the old Thunderbird Jackets
Don’t think I ever wore mine after I left Sleaford Tech

There was talk for years that they were going to be issued but it never happens. A shame really coz they can look really smart.

I disagree, I think they look gash personally, I haven’t worn mine for years.

Controversial opinion here, but I think they look smarter than jumpers.

6 Likes