Wearing a watch with No 2A (Wedgewoods) Uniform & other "rules" which are not rules

A Penny? At my Redbrick it had to be at least 10p, we didn’t drink for copper.

1 Like

That was quite some inflation in the couple of years between us!

2 Likes

Yes, but surely not every situation where you see a photograph of her requires action, only when eating or stuff of the like

Our NCO’s have decided that they always want to wear 2A instead of 2C. I admire that they want to look the part, but I would prefer they keep their 2A in good condition for parades and inspection nights - and just wear 2C the rest of the time.

OC doesn’t seem fussed if they want to go smarter than the uniform on the program, but I don’t really like it.

3 Likes

Are you aware of the concept of a joke?

1 Like

Meanwhile, the staff wouldn’t mind 2C every now and then!

1 Like

Bringing it back into topic… or maybe I should start a watches thread

Inconspicuous enough?

5 Likes

I can’t even see a watch

2 Likes

Since coming back from lockdown, we’ve had generally 1 or 2 staff members in No 2B (short sleeved light blues) and then a handful of other staff in civvies. For example, last night (Monday), our OC, Adj and a CI were all in civvies, but we had an Officer (Flt Lt.) in uniform, who made the most appearances throughout the night.
The OC does wear uniform often, and I believe he usually alternates between 2A and 2B.

To be fair, when I was a CWO, I chose to wear 2A all of the time. I thought as the senior cadet on the squadron, I should set decent example. Plus, I found the thinner Wedgwood shirt to be more comfortable on warm days!

Cadets are only scaled for one set of trousers, so the only difference is wearing a shirt and tie instead of just a shirt. If you’re worried about being smart on parade, issue two wedgewoods. Although wearing ones “smart” shirt on a regular basis stops cadets shoving in the back of the wardrobe for months and discovering it doesn’t fit anymore the morning of a parade!

1 Like

As everyone has already said, yes.

But I’d go further, the amount of cadets of mine who have gained leadership tasks because they’re not keeping time (and have no means of keeping time), is getting silly.

If they have a watch on, that’s a bonus for me. If that means it’s bright pink, flashing, and drawing attention, then so be it. Better that than not turning up on time.

5 Likes

I have had many an animated conversation with OC’s over the years about “local” rules - No, just a flat 100% no, just stick to the rules…

1 Like

I agree with you completely. But there are some things like promotions to CWO and applying to become an Officer that are different from wing to wing. These should be the same essentially as the whole point of there being a wing selection for CWO is to help with consistency. So these local rules seem to go up to wing sometimes.

1 Like

I stopped routinely wearing watches years ago as my body seems to eat the bloody things. I’ve got the gold watch for 15 years service in my last job, which comes out for posh do’s. Day to day the clock on my phone, car, PC , on the wall and in school bells for lessons and bteaks., so i don’t really need a watch. It’s quite liberating not wearing one.

The classic rule that isn’t a rule is stable belts only to be worn by Cadet SNCOs - Have seen so many squadrons do this, and causes annoyance at camps when my junior troops all wear them !

6 Likes

I think this is the most common I hear.

Private purchase and in the uniform bible, no mention of rank!

1 Like

I suspect that the no wearing a watch comes about due to the fact that the Cadet has a Rolex and the Officer a Timex and could get shown up. This thread made me chuckle.
As an OC I’d rather them wear watches than not - as long as it’s not as good as mine - lol

1 Like

Cadets being told that they ae not allowed to put pens in the pen pockets on the left sleeve of woolly pullies.
Apparently, its a H&S risk while doing the right dress.

3 Likes

I’ve heard this one and thought what’s the point of the pocket then. Also if that’s a health and safety risk then everything is a risk.

I mean, everything is a safety risk. That’s why we have to do RAs for the most benign things!

2 Likes