Wearing a watch with No 2A (Wedgewoods) Uniform & other "rules" which are not rules

Bassicly the problem is, all these squadrons treat a normal parade night like an actual parade and think everything’s got to be perfect.

3 Likes

Yes they do. It’s not helped by the fact that some seniors continue to perpetuate this myth.
For a time it was even written that a Sqn night should begin with a first parade to include an inspection and a march past.
Someone must have been at the moonshine when that was written…

We are a funny mix in the RAFAC. On the one hand we are, in part, helping to prepare cadets should they choose to join the military, so there is a necessary element of ‘recruit training atmosphere’. On the other, no military basic recruit training course runs for 7 years…
We have to balance our single environment to cater both for the introduction to a military training ethos as well as a normal working ethos. It’s not an easy balance and it’s easy for many units to slip too far to one extreme or the other on the personal whim of an OC or SNCO/WO.

4 Likes

And also, despite the pandemic, we’re probably still larger than the RAF, and should acknowledge that even if a lot of cadets want to get in, in this day and age they won’t - there simply isn’t the demand.

So we need to throttle back in the anal-ness.

2 Likes

So just to announce that jumper season has now officially begun on my sqn as of yesterday, so with this extended summer hopefully we won’t be having heat stroke on are hands.

Why not just ignore your OC’s ridiculous rule and apply common sense when it’s needed. Wear it if it’s comfortable, if it’s too hot, take it off.

Even though that would seem logical, everyone seems to treat it as a law, even the cadets seems to accept it as the way it is. So if you take it off, even if you’re actually hot everyone is like wtf are you doing man.

Anyway my tie and shirts are at a quality that assumes noone will see them because of jumpers so taking it off would also show my bad shirts and tie.

Wonder what the answer to that problem is…

7 Likes

Oooh, I know, it’s that thing I used to use before the pandemic. Name like metal, err, a Steel? A Copper? A Tungsten?

3 Likes

I thought we got rid of a designated “Jumper on, jumper off” calendar

We no longer follow the set dates for jumpers on/off, but rather look at what the weather’s been doing to decide on when we start wearing jumpers by default. However, if during activities cadets want to take them off, fine with me. Vice-versa for jumpers off time.

Separately to this, I’m still in a situation this year where I still haven’t received a uniform order since returning F2F in May, so I’ve got some cadets in all sorts of dress modes based on what still fits.

In which case, why bother even deciding on a “default” switch-over?

Just do what the RAF and all sensible RAFAC people do and say “jumpers are an optional choice unless we order standard dress for a formal parade / inspection / &c”… The same as wearing sleeves on dark blue shirts up or down.

3 Likes

Is this true?

I know it’s the case for Greens but I thought no jumper of working blues was always sleeves up.

Perhaps I should consult my new WWO :grin:

Para 215 part c

Me too.

TIL.

Sleeves may be rolled up.

No must.

Is your new WWO the in house WWO?

3 Likes

I’m constantly telling them to roll sleeves down… and most of them can’t roll their sleeves properly even when the activity allows it.

Greens is sleeves normally down but may be worn up when the weather is warm.
Working blue is sleeves normally up but may be worn down when cold.

2 Likes

Whoops. My default is greens sleeves up. They even call the shirt a lightweight jacket.

1 Like

Congrats @AlexCorbin

1 Like

I’m down… Only because I think PCS shirts look gash rolled up :joy: