Watches of the RAFAC Officer Cadre

Me too, does what I need it to do and a bit more robust than other smart watches I’ve had.

3 Likes

I’d classify it as ‘smart enough’. I don’t need a colour screen. The interface is a bit fiddly in places (the G-Shock was lovely and simple) but things like the way points and tracking is good for my LLA log book.

1 Like

Fenix 6 Pro for me. All about the fitness tracking, outdoor sports logging, GPS location getting loveliness.

1 Like

The older I get, the more I just want dumb single function devices…

1 Like

Absolutely.

I’ve got my battered Casio F-91 for day to day. Seen me through a few tours now so I’ll be sad when it goes.

And I’ve got a Citizen that my mother in law gave me I wear for fancy schmancy events. It was her step dads when he worked in India for Hindustan Machine Tools, hence the HMT.

Not sure what it’s worth or anything like that. Just a nice watch.

4 Likes

I’d love to know what “befitting of a RAFAC officer” even means…

Regardless you can’t go wrong with a Casio

1 Like

I have a Bremont too. A really lovely watch and extremely durable.

Still use mine daily!

4 Likes

Are you an officer?

We’re all members of staff, I don’t understand what the SNCO/officer difference would be for a matter such as this. Does it mean to be said that befitting of a RAFAC officer precludes SNCO?

You mean NCOs no longer have to rely on the speaking clock and can read watch faces now? :wink:

4 Likes

NCOs can read?

2 Likes

Imagine a RAFAC Officer - now imagine them wearing a watch…

Even so, lots going on about Casio’s but the current generation seem to be all about the apple watch

You have all assumed the OP is male, they may not be.
There is no right answer, Really all depends on the individual as to what you like, what you want it for, what else will you be wearing at the same time ie uniform, MTP, Flying kit etc Do you need it waterproof for paddlesports, GPS for AT, or just to look Gucci when sitting in cockpit or wearing uniform. Also depends on budget and whether you are prepared to scratch your 5K plus watch rock climbing etc . I have many watches of various budgets but hate even scratching a £30 Casio bought as a beater, so would never wear an expensive one doing something manual, that said many people don’t mind grating their Rolex along the floor or in an engine bay. All the comments above suit one or more of these options.
You probably missed your best chance of getting a black Friday or Cyber Monday ‘deal’ but suggest you look online, plenty of places, somewhere reputable like

and find something you like and can afford and don’t bother what other people think about it. The only suggestion I would say is don’t wear a big massive G-shock, Garmin etc with No 1’s

1 Like

Casio’s don’t care about gender and neither do we.

8 Likes

Personally I’ve never seen a watch that requires a specific type of genitals to work. I’m sure they’re out there in the deep dark recesses of the internet but not sure anyone has recommended one of those

3 Likes

I always thought female watches ran 30 minutes behind… at least I assume thats what my wifes does!

Ah yes but remember a ladies watch is always correct!!

2 Likes

I knew a Squadron commander who was always 30 minutes behind time. The saying used to be, we have Alpha time, we have Zulu time then we have xxxxxxxx time.

1 Like

In response to the original poster, from my own experiences before I left (and as a male gendered officer)…

I typically had a smartwatch (or a smart looking watch) in blues and g-shock for greens.

If full smartwatch all the time and you don’t mind about money then the garmin range is usually amazing (and multi day batteries for spending more than one day in the field). Otherwise the general all rounder is casio of some variety.

As with all things watch related, YMMV and just get something that suits you (and isn’t flash).