Watches of the RAFAC Officer Cadre

I’m looking for my next purchase and would like to see what recommendations there are out there. The only criteria so far is that it should be befitting of a RAFAC Officer.

In homage to the organisation of RAFAC, I suggest this.

8 Likes

As the owner of an Omega, I would 100% recommend a Breitling: so you can use their enclosure and enjoy free champagne at RIAT.

2 Likes

It’s this classic

Or my pocket watch on special occasions (no photo available at the moment, will dig it out later).

11 Likes

I don’t wear a watch; people will undoubtedly let me know if i’m running late.

2 Likes

One of these - titanium (lightweight), solar powered (no battery changes, no need to open the case and risk not being waterproof afterwards), synchronised to the atomic clock (so always right - making me unbearably smug). I love it. It does scream ‘I’m a pilot and I want you to know that’ but that’s entirely in keeping with the rest of my demeanour.

Its weakness is that the crystal is easily scratched. Currently Citizen will replace it for around £120 and I’ve done that twice already (you also get a new rotating bezel ring) but every time I’ve scratched it again shortly afterwards so I am going to see what a Dremel can do.

1 Like

G10.

Simple.

2 Likes

BTW it doesn’t have to be a genuine model, a CFAV i know who was not backward in confessing his Breitling example was a knock off from some market he visited on holiday was sufficient for him to be permitted access to the enclsoure at RIAT…

2 Likes

I have a Navitimer Fighters for my days off and a SuperOcean 42 for day to day.

We bought our son a Bremont Arrow for his 18th.

2 Likes

In all seriousness, my day-to-day watch is a Garmin Enduro.

Very difficult to turn down 80 hours of GPS + HR activity tracking, plus has an altimeter, barometer and compass built in. Also tracks HRV, respiration and pluse oxygen levels, provides local weather and suggests daily workouts.

Yes, I like data. Can you tell?

1 Like

I recommend a mechanical Ingersoll. Couple £100 and looks great (IMO).

2 Likes

I wish I could wear a watch at work. I would enjoy looking at all of this data! :smiley: Except the last bit, I don’t need it to suggest daily workouts :sweat_smile:

How many RIAT champagnes would one need to get value out of their Breitling?

1 Like

Depends how many times you’ve had it serviced. Lets just say it’s cheaper to service my car than my Navitimer!!

2 Likes

Tell me about it, Try having a Navitimer, a Transocean and a Super Ocean Heritage :melting_face:

But i guess it means i can bring 2 friends into the Breitling Tent :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve decided that I’m going to treat myself to one of these - a bit cheesy maybe, but I think it looks good!

I just couldn’t justify that much on a watch. But that’s just because of who I am. I know I’d smash it on something or take it off somewhere and leave it behind

2 Likes

A lot less than other ‘established’ brands and by all accounts, building a pretty good name. Some of the others in their catalogue look nice too!

I have a Garmin Instinct and am surprised by how good it is.

Before that I had a basic G-Shock. Sweet spot seems to be around the £100 mark. They get a bit too chunky for my taste as they go up on price.

1 Like

Surely has to be an Apple Watch to make sure you get emails immediately?

3 Likes