Walking boots - Not uniform boots

So I need some new boots, as my La Sportiva Trango’s, which are about 10 years old, are pretty much at the end of their life. I also have a pair of LOWA Combat GTX (Mk1), also about 10 years old, that are also pretty much done. Both pairs have had multiple new soles and cared for well to get to here!

What are you all wearing?

I’m after something semi-rigid, with very good ankle support. This part is pretty important for me! The LOWAs have been fantastic for that especially, as they are a very high combat boot. But I have used them in the mountains loads, and they have been great, just a bit heavy.

Have any of you had much experience with Bestard? They seem to have a great collection, but I’m not sure what’s good and what’s not, having not been in the market for boots for quite some time.

These certainly seem good so far…

Because im a cool bearded hipster kid i have some of these

Comfy as anything. Have the trainer version also and it got rid of my regular feet cramps

Sportspursuit and sports shoes are good places to buy from if you are after generic stuff that might be 1 season old.

Do you need the boots to be a specific grade for cramp ons etc? Will you be doing any climbing or just walking?

Very popular choices at the moment are AKU (not their military boots), Scarpa and Hanwag.

I personally wear Meindl for wide fit but guessing that’s not a consideration for you if you’ve been wearing sportivas?

I honestly don’t understand the thinking in keeping walking boots and ‘uniform boots’ separate. Many years ago, when the issued ‘boots combat high’ were still more like ammo boots than anything suitable for combat, I decided they weren’t fit for purpose and bought some black leather walking boots instead (I can’t remember the make now, but one of the usual suspects).

It appears the MOD eventually agreed and started issuing Altbergs, Lowas, AKUs, etc, so I think my logic stands: buy the best walking boots you can, in brown leather, and use them for both. Why should your feet settle for anything less when you’re in uniform?

Oh, I agree, don’t need to be separate. But I no longer wear a uniform, so I’m not restricted to Black/Brown boots.

As above, I’ve been wearing my LOWA combats for years, even after aging out. Those LOWAs are probably the best boots/shoes I’ve owned!

1 Like

I spend far, far too much money on Sportspursuit :rofl: But here we are again, about to spend more.

A B1 is preferable as a minimum. Not necessarily for crampons, but I prefer the rigidity when scrambling. They generally seem to be built better… An equivalent stiffness without the rating would be fine. B2 would be okay, but starts getting a bit heavy for what I’m looking for. And B3 is just not needed!

I think my biggest thing really is still having quite a high boot that completely covers my ankles. I get far too worried about rolling my ankle whilst out, given one of them is already pretty dodgy and a bit arthritic.

I have rather narrow feet, so they might not be the best! Albeit these look rather good, including the high ankle support!

2 Likes

Meindl… Best boots i was ever issued. I am still (6 years later) crying myself to sleep that I swapped them out. Worst decision of my life.

I’m debating private buying some. They were awesome. I have wide feet, but these could be laced in a way that negated that.

1 Like

I’d be looking at Scarpa, AKU and Sportiva based on what most of my search team wears for similar activities.

2 Likes

Well, Scarpa have my favourite colour scheme…

Ohh, yes. I like them! B2, maybe a bit heavy, but looks like good ankle support!

Had Scarpa’s for years, they had lots of abuse in the hills, got me through my AT quals, daily dog walks, you name it, they finally gave up the ghost three years ago and the newer versions of the same boot were just not the same so did what I always tell people to do, go and try boots on, came away with Meindl’s.
So comfy but after 18mths the leather was cracking and separating from the boot, thought ok, fair enough, they’d been in and out the sea, wet, dry, stuck in front of the log-burner at work to dry out after getting soaking walking to work, I’d worn them every single day so they’d had some use and I hadn’t really looked after them but then the Scarpa’s had been treated exactly the same. Took it on the chin and replaced them with the same boot, less than 12mths old, I’d taken a lot more care over these one too, the sole has split and the leather cracked in the same place as the other pair, the boots are currently with Meindl on a warranty claim.
I really like the boots in terms of fit and you can wear them all day and they’re so comfy but really disappointed with how they’ve stood up to the test of time.

2 Likes

I’m still kicking around in a pair of 2008 Scarpa’s! Yes. Older than some of our cadets - and far more miles on them too!!! I’m dreading the day they finally give up as I don’t think anything will ever come close!!!

I (briefly) had a pair of Bestards from SportPursuit - but they were a bit narrow for my fat flat feet. Likewise, I didn’t get on with Sportiva for the same reason. I also dabbled with some Terrex but they just didn’t give me the warm and fuzzies when i tried them on!

I’ve had some really good experiences with Keen walking shoes and sandals; lovely and wide, really robust and durable. The trekking shoes have already lasted my last pairs of Salomons (who’s quality has also dropped off since my ExitAeros). So I’m making an assumption that their walking boots will be the same.

1 Like

I’m still loving my Scarpas after 8 years and am hoping, when they come back from getting resoled, that they’re still as good. Having had an indestructible but weighty pair of Berghaus boots before, the Scarpas were a revelation!

I have Altberg and, for me, they have been the best boots I have had. From day one they were like putting on slippers with lots of support.

4 Likes

If we’re talking boot to wear in the Peaks etc, I had a pair of relatively expensive North Face that I used in Nepal…

Never really felt comfortable in them. Had to strap my feet most days (back of the heel rubs) felt clunky, and used to catch each other as I walked cos they were wide I guess.

Bought some cheap (£30!) karrimor hot rocks. Much more comfortable, lightweight and keep my feet quiet dry, even when stomping through the bogs up Kinder the other week

1 Like

It’s really “annoying” when you find kit that “works / fits just right”, because it makes you wary of trying anything new / different…

I went through 6 or 7 different footwear choices in 2018 for Nijmegen… eventually discovering that standard Altberg Defenders with Sole heat moulded footbeds were the best solution for all round use - load of support, relatively inexpensive and replaceable soles - which is just as well, because the soles themselves don’t seem to last more than two seasons of Nijmegen training (perhaps I’m being a bit harsh as that’s well over at least 200 miles a year!)

Tried a pair of Pilgrims last year because everyone raves about them - much lighter, but little to no arch support and feels like I’m walking along a balance beam.

Might risk trying on a pair of Meindls next time I see them

You definintely need to try Pilgrims with some moulded insoles in them, I found it made a huge difference.

1 Like

Definitely.

My Pilgrims make walking (on flat and firm) feel like less effort than standing still, but any length of time or distance without an insole wreaks havoc on my shins.

I’ve never had the pleasure of moulded insoles. That might actually be something I might try when I decide what boots to buy. Does that also help at all with breaking them in? As at least the footbed is the right shape already.

Probably not… in my case, the moulded soles provide MUCH greater support for my feet - in particular my arches.

By moulding to your feet, the insole takes on the shape of the actual sole of your foot - in its “natural” shape.

It then does two things - firstly they greatly reduce the amount of over pronation - rolling of my feet as I walk - which in turn greatly reduces the amount of strain on my ankles, shins, knees and hips… all of which would otherwise be trying to compensate for this pronation.

Second benefit - imagine your foot being like a squishy bouncy ball - each time it your foot hits the ground, the soft fleshy part of your foot “splats” outwards…

After a few thousand steps, your feet get rather fed up with this… having big standard insoles - or worse yet, old insoles that have become compressed there’s nothing to keep the sole of your feet where they’re bean to be…

The moulded soles keep your sole where it wants to be naturally - meaning the fleshy tissue doesn’t get squished and provides more cushioning…

They may not be right for everyone - but I’m a 6’3, 20st example of how much benefit they provide… feet still fresh at the end of 50k!

1 Like