Walking boots - Not uniform boots

That’s really informative, cheers. I might actually look at moulded insoles for my work boots… I do 5-10k steps everyday just around the workshop!

1 Like

So - I use Sole Active medium (red) insoles for my Altberg for walking - as I subscribe to the two pairs of socks idea… But - I use the Sole Active thick (black) ones for my work boots - be use I just wear standard work socks…

Going back to breaking in boots… breaking in boots is more down to getting the leather to bend and flex where your body needs to bend and flex…

Modern leather boots just polish them with Leder Gris or Dubbin… not kiwi!

Old army hi-leg para type boots used to be a nightmare - old wives stories of taking the insoles out and weeing in to the boots then walking in them - the urea supposedly helping to soften the leather… or, put your socked foot in a plastic bag, then put your boot on and go for a walk…

To be honest - I bought a pair of Altberg Tethera boots - swapped the insoles for my usual ones and took them out for a 40k walk - no issues…

1 Like

This was how my LOWAs were when I first got them years ago. No breaking in needed!

I have a pair of Aku Pilgrims and honestly they are the dogs knackers. Use green Superfeet replacement insoles, they give lots of arch support.
Green Superfeet insoles

Never really gone in for recommending boots as what works for one person is a foot shredder for another. But Pilgrims seem to work for lots of people and many of my cadets now have them and think they are great.

I had some moulded insoles a few years ago. A proper game changer. Although there was also something really weird about baking them in an oven… Something Mrs BF wasn’t overly impressed with - finding my foot products on her nice baking trays!!!

Should have told her you were cooking dover sole for tea.

Have a look at the superfeet moulded ones, either the ones to suit your foot shape or even their custom baked ones that you can have made at certain places.

Always check somewhere like eBay for second hand boots. I managed to pick up a pair of Scarpa Trek GTXs for about £90, pretty much brand new with no wear on them whatsoever. The same boots will fetch £180 to £220 in some retailers. Also I recommend Scarpa, but they can be a bit pricey.