VR(T) Commission Change

It’s a wonder we haven’t been told (via social media, of course), that we have to download the new commissioning scroll and print it off ourselves.

Btw, I still haven’t had my letter from the CAC. I’ve been at the same address for 20yrs and my pay…sorry, VA… slips get delivered here so it isn’t an address issue.

3 Likes

Mines framed and on the office wall where it will remain until I leave. Whether it’s current or not is irrelevant; it’s how I was originally commissioned and to remove it would be to deny our past.

2 Likes

Its nothing to do with embarrassment

Both of mine are framed and on the wall with several other bits of memorabilia from my past lives - but in a part of the house where only I really spend any time - no one else is interested and I do not need to constantly remind them.

At the end of the day they are just wall coverings and do not affect anything

But I bet the new ones will be an awful design and may even be a print yourself type pdf as I understand the SCC used to have. I may be wrong but it will probably be several more years before any of us see one

No it just never made it onto the wall as it’s far too big. I’ve never put personal certificates on the wall or if framed on a shelf anywhere at anytime, they sit in a couple of box files or as computer files for the online ones you now get, so I know where they are. I’ve visited one squadron where I think the CO must have his half a length swimming certificate on the wall, judging by what’s there.

You’re a strange cookie sometimes

I know what I’ve achieved / done and that’s good enough as far as I’m concerned.

I have a ‘i love me wall’ - Commission in the middle, with photos of me looking Adonis-like and in firm command all around it.

I don’t actually. My commission is in the box files with my pension stuff, and the only photos I have are of me looking deshevelled and in need of a good wash/iron/sleep…

1 Like

I will be interested to hear how it is planned to work out with Service Inquiries as civilians (not subject to service discipline) cannot be forced to give evidence or engage and could in theory just ignore any Service Inquiry; if all the VGS staff will be in that category it will be interesting to see how aircraft accident / incident investigations would be handled. Defence contractors are usually forced to comply via their employment terms as part of the overall MOD contract.

Hopefully not something we’ll see any time soon, but one would imagine it’d be handled by the AAIB…

1 Like

What will be more interesting is when the WWO tells me to cut my hear and shave my beard off and look proper military like. You scruffy little ossifer, you

How will they be able to inforce it now we are not in the real RAF? It is a serious question, now we have a civilian commission how can they tell you how to look especially when there are different rules between men and women?

1 Like

Again, the same way we enforce it with the SNCOs/WOs who aren’t part of the RAF.
It is part of the rules of the organisation we join and which we agree to follow.

I cannot make anybody cut their hair* - cadet or staff.
I expect them to know better and to exercise a little self-discipline.

*but I can ban them from wearing uniform in public!

3 Likes

And who does that affect exactly. Whoever might not be that worried, but it could affect the cadets doing something.

Military registered aircraft so nothing to do with AAIB…

Actually the AAIB are still the overarching investigation authority even for accidents involving military aircraft.

Of course the AAIB doesnt have disciplinary powers, that would be left either to RAF Plod or Civ Plod.

1 Like

It’d be handled by the MAIB who have a section located with the AAIB.

They’ll have it in the terms of service. Failure to comply can lead to disciplinary action upto and including dismissal. Want to play with their toys (uniform) you play by their rules

Evevn is the rules are illegal. I think not. Having different rules for male and female is against discrimination law and ACP1. But we accept t it as it is the rules of out parent service. I am sure the lawyers would have a field day if somebody was chucked out of the ATC for having a beard. Just because it has always been that way does make it right.
The rules of any organisation has to be biased in law. You cannot enforce anything that is illegal, the injured party will have recourse in law.
Anyway, with the introduction of the CFC they are a new set of rules none of which i signed up for.
We all paly by the rules because we want to not because we have to. We accept it rhe same way the cadets, WOs and NCOs do bgut there are enough hacked off officers out there to cause huge problems for the RAFAC . Beards are very fashionable at the moment. Considering none of the new T&Cs have yet to be published it would be very easy

So how many hacked off officers do you think there are out here?
Are you suggesting a beard growing protest? Not really that diverse…

Ref beards: If practitioners of some religions are allowed a beard, and practitioners of other religions (or none) are not then, prima facie, those banned from having a beard are being discriminated against because of their region.

Religion or belief is a protected characteristic under the Equalities Act (2010) (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/4). Is this behaviour by the ACO unlawful?

1 Like

No.

Create a new topic for discussion

2 Likes