VR(T) Commission Change

But I thought as members of the RAFAC we were getting Cadet Forces Commissions?

Even if we thought it was a vote, nobody promised a majority decision. There were probably influencing factors that meant the majority view wasn’t adopted? The outcome has obviously upset the minority…

It’s probably upset the majority, given that it was the majority view that wasn’t upheld.

I’m all for balance and debate, but it does seem like you’re playing devil’s advocate to the max…

The ACO Command Board and RAF Senior Leaders made the decision not to go with the majority view.
We were asked to complete a survey which almost 3000 ACO staff completed. Less than one third of the ACO staff membership.
To say that the majority ‘vote’ wasn’t upheld is putting ‘spin’ on it to fit the views of a minority who just happen to be active on this thread!
The only devil in me is perhaps a voice for what might be the majority of ACO adult volunteers who don’t happen to participate here?

Now that’s taking a leap suggesting you might be a voice for the majority.

The voices on here are in my view speaking from part of the 3,000 that did take part. If you didn’t then your opinion can’t be heard so we don’t know what side you would have taken - unfair to all to presume that those that didn’t take part have a particular view when we simply don’t know.

If they were going to igore the result anyway, why bother wasting people’s time (including their own) with it in the first place?

3 Likes

It’s also a little unfair to spin it the other way as well…given the figures and given the fact it wasn’t ever a ‘vote’.
The broad reasoning for the decision has been given and I guess it will be one that will be contentious for some for a long time to come in certain circles?
From the figures quoted the majority of ACO adults are maybe not fussed one way or the other?

I don’t think they have ignored the result. They just didn’t like the majority answer on the survey and decided on another. They’re our bosses. We have an opinion but they don’t have to agree with us…!

Reading through the email trail in the FOI request posted earlier it seems that we went with RAF Air Cadets because that was the preference of the AOC.

There were 2 surveys.
The first was quite open and the majority preference was ignored, apparently due to prior preferences from above,
The second contained only the options they liked from the first,but included some that were either already ruled out or which they could have excluded beforehand if they had carried out some basic checks beforehand - of course these invalid options received the majority vote)

So “RAFAC” was, I think, the 3rd most popular option from the second survey which itself ignored the top favoured options from the first.

Even then, it was a better planned and presented survey than the one sent around as to whether SNCO/WO CFAV should become VR(T) - that could be a textbook example of how to present a biased and flawed survey.

No it isn’t. It was the majority vote, the most respondents chose an option which makes it the majority vote. I didn’t say the majority of the ACO staff.

There are lots of reasons why people didn’t respond - I’m willing to bet at least a few hundred won’t have had access to SMS, some won’t have cared, some will have wilfully abstained. They all have 1 thing in common though - we can’t count their choices. Not that it matters now of course.

It would have been a better idea to either a) make the choice for us and not give us the illusion of an option or b) fight harder for the option most people chose or c) give us a choice about being rebranded to RAFAC.

Also, I obviously know several volunteers across all 3 streams who aren’t on here and I haven’t yet found someone who shares your viewpoint.

Of course that’s because I surround myself with people I like though :wink:

2 Likes

Even if they did vote it wouldn’t have made a jot of difference anyway…!

Play nicely now. Consider yourself warned x

2 Likes

So how long have you been working for Regional HQ, or is it HQAC. If not the AEF then most likely a gliding school not doing any gliding but quite smug that they hold onto their VRT so they can play carrier landings in the mess bar. (Read back through your posts)

1 Like

Actually Prune, it matters not to me what I wear on my shoulders. As long as I can continue to deliver to cadets. That’s what’s important.
I participated in the survey. To be honest I’m surprised the VRT commission has survived as long as it has!
I don’t actually believe the changes will make a great difference to what can be achieved? Do ATC/CCF officers need a military commission? Probably not?

Much like the “SLT” (although I don’t see much leadership and more “management”) you ignore the issue being discussed. Your credibility once again slips from your furrowed brow and falls from the horse you sit.

Mind how you go.

2 Likes

You’re trying to identify me to confirm your biased views. It’s not me who’s ignoring the issue?

Au contraire mon ami. If I was trying to identify you, I’d start putting names. I was saying which part of the organisation you are based, which isn’t identifying you is it. I know you struggle with things, so try reading slowly. There’s a good chap.

2 Likes

:joy:
I would guess most AEF pilots don’t give a hoot about the change?
As for VGS, I would guess some of them feel as some do on this thread, rather negative?
HQAC staff and RHQ staff. I have no idea? They’re going to be overtly supportive I guess?