VR(T) Commission Change

The whole sorry affair is swiftly becoming a cross between a cake and ar… er…bottoms party and a BGGF.

2 Likes

Shall we run a book on when our very own village idiot will be bouncing all over twitbook saying how great it will be that it’s going to be a civilian commission and that this is the result they have been working towards?

Can anyone remember if you can put comments on LinkedIn?

1 Like

Yeah you can comment on LinkedIn

And the village idiot followers are already out in force!

Get rid of remuneration and go over to expenses, managed by Civ Comms or give a flat amount for expenses to everyone.

We used to get a flat £30 a day to cover meals and other expenses, which went to receipt based expenses at work and now there is talk of going back to a daily rate, purely to reduce the administration. In the old days we’d get a take away between us rather than go to a restaurant, but as soon as it went to expenses we all went for sit down meals, if they weren’t included at the hotel.

If we all (including CIs) got £30 a day, if you were on something with say 3 Flt Lts (paid) that’s £280 VA + potential fuel vs £90 + fuel claim. Even if you could claim fuel at 25p/mile that’s a lot of miles each a day.

Annual camp with 8 staff for 7 days would be £1680 against say a camp of 8 with 3 Flt Lt (paid) and 5 CIs is in the region of £1900. If you add in SNCOs and get up to 6 uniformed staff add in another £1500ish. So somewhere around £3300 to £3500 against c.£1700. For those who feel hard done by as they might be in charge, give the nominated individual another £20 a day.

Good god no. A lot of squadrons can’t get proper committees so you would end up waiting 6 months to get paid (oh, wait a second) or it becomes rife for fraud sadly. Just forgot any involvement of Civ coms to pay staff. Flat expenses however I can work with.

Flat rate expenses gets into the ‘respecting people’s input’ or however it’s worded, that’s mentioned in the value the volunteer ramble.

Plus it would save a small fortune as my back of a fag packet calculation suggests.

The squadron closing thing is a nonsense as without cadets doing what they do, where is the need for the management structures we have.

As I understand it, it’s more about rationalising the ATC footprint, than disbanding squadrons.

Anytown might have 2 ATC squadrons within a few miles of each other. If they both paraded in the same building, on different days, then DIO(??) could sell off one plot of land, and RFCA only have to look after one, instead of 2. Plus the 2 squadrons could share the cost of internet access, phone rental, etc.

Sort of doing more, with less.

Makes sense on paper. Especially if you, like me, beleive that the MOD would like to decrease community units, and move them to CCFs…

1 Like

Just thinking of the practicalities following the latest update.
We will need: a new Royal Warrant creating the CFC
[Possibly a new Royal Warrant creating the RAFAC as an entity rather than a brand used by two organisations. That’s assuming they stick to the plan for a commission into RAFAC and appointment to CCF or ATC]
An amendment to the ATC warrant (if not rolled into the RAFAC warrant) to change the requirement that the officers come from the VR(T).

That’s quite a bit for the MOD/Palace to hash out. I can’t see the palace being willing to rush this is creating a whole new Royal Warrant. They will want to make sure the wording is completely watertight before getting HM to sign it. This is surely now going to take ages. Will it be ready for April? (Most big changes happening in April or October - the creation of the ATC being an exception with a February formation)

There’s also a question over what happens when someone is staff on a squadron and then also joins a VGS. Will they have both commissions and change insignia depending on which unit they are at? Or will they just get the VR(T) and be treated as a service helper (as a reservist) on the Sqn, with the restrictions on posts they can hold?

The more I think about this the more complex it becomes. As others have said we are now a far cry from one of the initial aims which was to reduce the admin burden. I think I read somewhere that they’re intended there would be a single cross service publication with the rules for commissions across all cadet forces.

[quote=“Moist_Van_Lipwig, post:1374, topic:2647”]

I recently heard something very different. A with a Corps of 40,000 we can offer a very small amount to a lot of people. With a Corps of 20,000 we can offer more and better experiences to fewer. It certainly fits better the CEP plan - close those units where a CEP School exists. Leave open those where no school is willing. Plus CCFs are cheaper as the schools foot part of the bill. The convenient ignorance of community units in that recent report further highlights this mindset.

this is something i have questioned to myself as i read the thread. Our OC is a VGS pilot pre-pause and wondered which flavour they will get/wear

So… my letter has arrived…

Mine too

We look for to the text lol or the BS

Steve, you’ll probably find that your Squadron OC is not a flying supervisor. It’s my understanding that the only staff who will retain the VR(T) will be flying supervisors; normally a VGS OC or CFI; which is a Squadron executive post. Your OC will probably fly in the VGS as supernumerary and therefore be commissioned under the CFC.

1 Like

Nothing in today’s post here, and going away for a week now. That’s going to be a fun week wondering what the letter says

There’s lots of words… mostly sprinkling glitter upon a steaming heap of poo poo to make us feel “valued” and “respected”.

Plus 3 pages of FAQs. Including - and I’m not sure how frequently this one has actually been asked -

Is there any of the following:

1. As a CFC officer, how do I complain about a VGS/AEF Officer who is VRT (plus the reverse)
  2. How do I complain about something that happened prior to the commencement of CFC when someone was a VRT?

[quote=“Plt_Off_Prune, post:1384, topic:2647, full:true”]

1. As a CFC officer, how do I complain about a VGS/AEF Officer who is VRT (plus the reverse)[/quote]
    No.

No.

However, there is lots of stalling with the words “guidance will be published” and “ACPs are being rewritten” as if they will magically appear after 23.59 on 31st October 2017.

Which makes me think… I might give my number ones an outing for Halloween… since it’s become abundantly clear that it’s viewed upon as fancy dress. What will they do the following day? Throw the AFA at me? Sorry mate - not in that club any more.

As far as I know you can be felt with under the AFA for a period of time after leaving.

I have mine too and I have to say it’s poorly written. It looks like no one proof read it or it was possibly drafted by someone with a limited knowledge of the English language.

1 Like