VR(T) Commission Change

Gunner was talking about SNCO aircrew ATC thus the comparison to SNCO ATC seems appropriate, you seem to have missed the comment later about removing ALL ranks from Sgt to Wg Cdr’s they are all earnt in practically the same way and therefore must all equally annoy the regular equivalent.

If only there was some way to tell the difference such as gold pins or a massive text box underneath!

Anyone who’d seen the aircrew slides would know there is no way they could be confused with a regular aircrew Sgt. The quality is so poor the eagle is a line drawing, one of them is looking the wrong way and the embroidered ATC underneath. Hopefully the RAFAC ones are better quality.

1 Like

The way the SNCO VR(T) survey was done was akin to the questionnaires our kids brought home when they were in Primary school, it was amateur in a way that is insulting to amateurs.

In hindsight, they would have known the CFC was on the cards and its implications when the SNCO VR(T) survey was done, and that putting the SNCOs into the VR(T) was never going to happen, but it was done to make it look like it could happen.

I do wonder was happened to the respect and integrity and ethics that such a lot was made much of a few years ago? As we have been treated with little respect and there is little evidence of integrity or ethical behaviour. One would hope that these would be behavioural mainstays of regular armed forces officers, through training and service.

3 Likes

This whole thing seems at odds with the RAFAC rebrand from ACO. On the one hand from the naming we’re being brought more into the RAF family but then with the VR(T) changes we’re being kicked out of the family home. If only they could make up their mind

That’s because the RAFAC thing is the Commandants project & nothing to do with things that are needed. They could have easily moved us out of the VR(T) and kept us as the ACO, but they are treating the 2 like they are the same thing to force through this rebrand.

(Edited to fix poor Grammar!)

1 Like

This has descended into something akin to a “The Apprentice” task, where all the candidates were given the same task.
The boardroom would be interesting seeing them to try and explain it away, how this has happened.
The only problem is at the end no one will get fired, but they would get promoted and given a knighthood or if they have one some more bling.

1 Like

Or an OBE for now?

it all feels like a standard “hurry up and wait” approach…

except no one quite knows what the rush is - deadlines are extending and no one knows what it is we’re waiting to receive

1 Like

I just hope that the Commandant manages to find enough time to break away from this mess, to visit the palace to collect that CBE she was awarded, last June.

What does CBE stand for again? Cranwell’s Biggest …

I imagine her twitface accounts will go into hyperdrive that day. :rolleyes:

Maybe, she’ll post a selfie with the Queen…

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

1 Like

I understand how everyone feels and I accept this has not gone well at all. And while the blame always stops at the one at the top. Are we sure CAC is not doing this because she has been ordered to by powers above her and because with so many cuts across the forces this a way of keeping cadet forces going at a time of cuts else were

I do think you are right, but she could be honest and say so - but that won’t display leadership, ownership or looking after the bosses bottom

2 Likes

If this is the case and I expect there are elements of truth, why not tell us
but

When people are open about the rationale for changes (I think the complaints angle has become a smokescreen for bigger things) people are far more accepting. When the global economic wheels fell off 10 years ago, our management were and have remained far more open about things and while we might not have liked the messages, it gave us all opportunities to take our own path.
Potentially being completely open with volunteers who have been getting the rough end of the stick (just think about flying, gliding, shooting and extra requirements to do things) could be catastrophic, but as it is, the way this and other things have been handled is making a lot more people consider their options than they might like to think. Not just those donning uniforms. There is another aspect in that a drop in staff, means less cadets, means less need for the jobs at the top and self protection seems key for some.

So now it’s confirmed this is a civilian commission I assume they’ll be doing away with the need to go to OASC? A good way to save some money and also to save volunteers time. I didn’t experience the old system but surely an interview with Wing/Region staff, along with a recommendation from the Squadron Commander should suffice now.

1 Like

The move from ACO to RAFAC isn’t an issue.

The public understand RAF Cadets a lot more that they do Air Cadets.

Being Air Cadets is like the ACF being called Ground Cadets…

Playing devils advocate, how has this saved the RAFAC any money?

In theory, we were told, all that should have changed, is that VR(T) officers can no longer petition the crown. How much has that cost in the last 10 years?

Complaints will still be received, and will still have to be investigated up to CAC level, so that will still cost money.

Then there is the whole cost of the new CFC - man-hours, legal advice, etc.

Not to mention the cost of the new rank sliders.

And to top it all, the grand idea about losing all VR(T) in the RAFAC is now shot. All AEF officers will remain VR(T). All VGS Officers will remain VR(T), until such time a “bespoke” commission is created for them (more man-hours, more legal work…).

What will have been created will be a Five Tier organisation, instead of three (FTRS, VR(T) and ATC V’s FTRS, VR(T), RAFAC, ATC, and VGS Commission - eventually). Surely that will be even more complicated to administer? Plus the VR(T) will still be able to petition the crown, which negates the whole point of creating a commission. So the potential risk of spending money staffing those cases still stands.

All that seems to have been achieved is that the hard working squadron officers, who are the bedrock of the organisation, have had a privilege needlessly removed.

That said, If I were a gambling man, I would put £100 on this being the first move to eradicate our renumeration. The RAF getting it’s ducks in a row, so to speak. By removing our commission, and rewriting our TOS, when the time comes, there will be no way for us to challenge the withdrawal…

3 Likes

The civilian Commission?

RC(North), Via the “ask the team” section on sharepoint.

I strongly believe that there has been legal advise issued over the last couple of years to this effect and that removing renumeration would be unlawful due to the intricacies of our “contract”. The only probable legal way would be to wholesale change the scenery, like what is being done now, across the ATC and ACF. Leave it a little while then bring in a change and blame it as austerity, with zero opportunity for legal challenge. When you look at it, there’s little ways to trim the fat in a fairly trim organisation staffed by volunteers. Yes there’s some regional fat, but they are 2-4 employed people so you can’t just sack them. We are already seeing units suggested for closure to save cost. RFCA have already undertaken an exercise into this. One of the largest bills is remuneration.

Save this posts. Screenshot it. Print it out. Frame it. Just remember to come back here when it happens. I won’t gloat, I won’t say, “I told you so” and I won’t be smug. I’ll just be as upset and annoyed like all the others that we have been stitched up in a sneaky and underhand way.

6 Likes

I personally think RAF Cadets alludes to something a bit grander and that we ain’t.
People understand Air Cadets as that is what we’ve referred to ourselves as for donkey’s years. It was labelled as Air Cadets back in the early 70s and before.
RAF Air Cadets is a nonsensical gob full of nothing.

1 Like