VR(T) Commission Change

They are members of the ACF but are not obligated to do any CFAVing beyond the terms of their employment e.g. teaching at detachments or attending weekend camps. I checked and they can claim VA for this as they are not getting paid for the voluntary side.

So it seems that system could be open to abuse.

CEO "I need you to work this weekend to support X"
CAA "but I am too busy to take a day off in the week and the missus wants me to do some jobs around the house"
CEO “Well I need you to - how about 2 days VA as a sweetener?”

I’m not sure how that is abuse. If they are doing a full days work outside of their core hours, should they not be entitled to the VA just like the other CFAVs attending the event? It isn’t really up to the CEO to dangle the VA as a carrot though as the CAA would be entitled to claim it regardless.

Surely if it’s voluntary the word no can be used to good effect.

Not really. They have a limit of 28 days VA. If an event qualifies for VA, then everyone who attends it can claim the VA, assuming they attended for long enough and they haven’t exceeded their quota. Those are what the regulations say. The CEO would need a pretty good reason to not pay the VA.

But surely the CAAs don’t work 9-5 Monday to Friday?

Surely they work weekends and evenings with TOIL/Overtime as appropriate?

A CAA’s normal hours are something like 9-5 Monday to Friday, and I believe TOIL if they are working in the evening. They are not obligated to work weekend camps. I believe they can use TOIL as opposed to VA for weekends if they wish, but cannot do both.

Surely they either attend as the CAA (TOIL) or they attend as a CFAV (VA)

The line between CAA and CFAV can become burred. They could be CAAing one minute and CFAVing the next. The rule book says that it is TOIL first as their contract has a set number of hours. If they use these hours doing their normal day to day work then they claim VA, but this does not necessarily reflect the role they will perform on the weekend. Being British, I have never asked my CAA about what he gets paid for weekends so I don’t know what happens in reality.

Interesting. Anyway thread creep here! Sorry my fault!

It’s only a paper exercise or more correctly rename the field in a database to change everyone to whatever we’ll end up getting called.

Expect a very large volume of relinquishments or transfers come April :slight_smile:

In the second survey it annoyed me that I couldn’t rate everything the bottom score. I didn’t bother in the end as the powers that been have already decided to keep a tenuous link to the RAF, expressly for their purposes.

1 Like

But mainly to annoy you.

I don’t think I’d be alone in thinking it has already been decided.

I didn’t fill it in either as I didn’t like any of the suggestions.
We have a perfectly good identifier already which identifies who we are it is worn by our NCOs and is ATC. Since I joined this organisations in the 1980s it has been called the Air Training Corps and nobody has ever told me that our name has changed. Yes, we have been rebranded the RAF Air Cadets but nobody has told me that we are not to use the Name Air Training Corps or not to refer to us as such.

5 Likes

The slow slide to remove/ignore the name ‘Air Training Corps’ has been unsettling for some time. What is wrong with it? Correct me if I’m wrong but Royal Air Force Air Cadets doesn’t have a Royal warrant.

1 Like

I would take this a step further - if one of the main reasons to move away from VRT is to distinguish between the deployable Reserve and ourselves, why would the SCC be allowed to keep their honorary RNR? It doesn’t make sense?

Additionally, will the Regional Commandants and the indeed Commandant go over to the new structure (from RAFR / VRT)? I’m not sure they’ll be deploying any time soon…

I would also ask, is this the time to distinguish between CCF and ‘ATC’ Officers?

It would make sense for all 3 branches of CCF Officer to wear that Identifier - much in the same way our Cadets use different Cap Badges.

given we still wear the Air Training Corps beret badge, the Air Training Corps brassard “mudguard” and SNCOs are with “ATC” pins it would seem we still are very much using the name (if only for ease of changing uniform) even if those upstairs in the Ivory Towers don’t!!