Vista laptops

I’ve been offered two laptops free for the sqn but they have Vista. How do you upgrade them to W7 or W8 as I doubt they’ll run 10. The bloke offering said that browsers don’t work or are unreliable and MS stopped supporting it last year.
Is it something anyone can do or do we need to look at computer repair shop and what are the expected costs? I’ve seen W7 online but the costs vary from £20-£30 to a couple of hundred.

They seem ideal for cadets to use for exams and classroom work.

I’m a bit of a plug it in and go then chuck it at the wall if it plays up type when it comes to computers

I found this previous thread - but I’m pretty sure that there was a more recent one…

Do you have any parents/carers that would be prepared to have a look and maybe give you a quote around upgrade? Not all laptops will take it. We upgraded an old one of my husband’s for our daughter from Vista to Windows 10, needed some extra memory to do it, but the fact it was a Toshiba made a difference, apparently! I’m not geeky enough to understand why, just know it was a far cheaper option that buying her one.

Just beware you are talking about a 10 yr old laptop - unless they were top spec when they were purchased there is little chance of them being adequate now. You may spend £200 odd to upgrade, but it might be better to spend that on two newer laptops instead.

JM