VA Changes Announced

We don’t have time served at all anymore IIRC. But the old farts get to keep it. It was always clear what what I read though that it was still technically an acting rank

1 Like

There used to be acting (paid) and acting (unpaid) ranks, especially Flt Lt. I guess all that will go now.

Yeah I don’t know where that comes from - I am a CCF(RAF) Flt Lt and always understood it to be an acting rank, substantive Fg Off.

1 Like

That went years ago.

1 Like

So it looks like its not a new announcement!! Check out date stamp at top LHS of the video; according to the way the MOD date stamp documents, it was recorded on 5 Jan 2024 :zipper_mouth_face:

Well knock me over with a feather - that chap may be onto something with the CCF regulations.

Went digging and there it was:

https://devresourcecentre-cadetdigital.ocecdn.ocp.oraclegovcloud.uk/content/published/api/v1.1/assets/CONTD425B5E5FE544DCF9DD025779FF01D85/native?channelToken=cfad7221feae48639bfbef906a5b11cd&download=false

2.6.94. Acting and local rank. The grant of acting and/or local rank to Officers is not
permitted in the CCF.

1 Like

thats an interesting read - wonder if has been update again recently

I’m just surprised it wasn’t released to Social Media on the 6th with the IBN still only being yesterday

1 Like

“Mandatory training - training that we require our volunteers to do - will clearly attract volunteer allowance”

Albeit in the context of the CIC, maybe ACTO99 days should be organised…

1 Like

More likely whatever video package they use, uses US date formats so it was recorded on Weds.

That would make a lot of sense in this case!

It was recorded using Microsoft Stream so yes

It used to be called pay. When it became an ‘allowance’, all that changed was the name: not its nature.

It’s never been called pay on any official documents or regulations since I’ve was commissioned in 2009.

Was even referred to as such on my OIC with Mcgavigon explaining how it was meant to work.

Remuneration used to be used a lot but it’s the volunteers who have confused this with using the terminology of pay, not the permanent staff.

1 Like

I’m talking before that. I had a contract of employment with the Secretary of State for Defence, there were published daily rates of pay, we attended pay parades to be paid in cash, where we checked the amount and responded “pay correct, sir”, etc.

2 Likes

Reservists are under different legislation to cadet forces & always have been.

I don’t know how it was done in the 70 or 80s but I suspect there was no pay parades for CFAVs.

There certainly wasn’t in cadet units in the 90s.

Volunteer Allowance is for cadet forces who have never had a bounty.

If it quacks like a Duck it’s a Duck and we are now getting Ducking less.

How much of an “allowance cut” has every Squadron Commander just taken?

3 Likes

on the basis a Squadron Commander is a Flt Lt, and is now getting only Fg off rates
(number in brackets are at 20% tax)

£23.65 a day “pay” cut (£18.92)

Over ten days that is £236.5 (£189.20)
Over 20 days that is £473 (£378.40)
and the full potential 28 days is £662.2 (£529.76)

Edit to add:
those same numbers for a Sqn Ldr are (number in brackets are at 20% tax)
day = £51.57 (£41.23)
10x days = £515.70 (£412.30)
20x days = £1031.40 (£825.12)
28x days = £1444.96 (£1155.17)

From another thread:

So the VA that would effectively fund all of my Paddle UK fees has been stripped out. Looks like the organisation is either paying for them then or buying my kit.

5 Likes

Just for reference those numbers were the “pay” cut - as a Fg Off @ £83.88 a day rate 28x days = £2334 awarded in VA (£1878.92 @ 20% tax)

I do understand the point made by @redowling though, being £1150 (after tax) “out of pocket” going forward will have an impact on everyone, it is £100/month

1 Like