VA Changes Announced

We don’t but the benefit of running a sqn and taking on the extra work and stress is you get to hold the rank of Flt Lt and claim renumeration at that rank. You may aswell give up your commission and hold the rank of WO. Atleast you will get free uniform replacements and get renumeration at basically the same as oc who has the rank of Flt Lt.

9 Likes

No one gets paid at all so they keep telling us :wink: ( said in a light hearted way)

1 Like

Out of all the different options that were banded about on here, I have to say that this is probably one of the more sensible ones.

Most CFAVs aren’t affected either positively or negatively, and it still saves against the assigned budget. There were definitely worse options out there.

Comms will be an issue for a long time, I suspect, and I think a few more senior CFAVs may stop doing weekend activities, but I’m not sure the impact will be as negative as we were worried that it would be.

9 Likes

Do NCO’s not take any responsibility? Or CI’s?

1 Like

I’m not sure of most CFAVs not being negatively affected. Every commissioned OC Sqn, every commissioned WSO and RSO, Wing Commander are affected. Especially those who complete over their 28 days every year and are now taking a 50% ‘pay’ cut.

For those commissioned staff who don’t do their 28, they can always ‘top-up’ the pay they will loose by doing an extra weekend or two. For those who always claim the 28 (who seem to be being demonised btw for doing their role) it’s a big reduction. Coupled with the fact that those senior in rank are probably older, do less days as they have family etc.

I’m looking forward to an FOI request in 12 months time - how many VA days were claimed, how many less days were delivered and how much was actually saved. In his video CAC was worried in case we all suddenly claimed all our VA days - WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED.

3 Likes

A lot of comments on here refer to it as “pay”

Its an allowence. As mentioned in the video, its already more than lots other volunteer org’s get such as scouts, guiding, boys brigade e.t.c

1 Like

The expectations of their volunteers are also a lot lower along with their requirements for kit to deliver the activities.

I’m not a squadron leader and can attract 150+ per day plus profit on goods…

So

There’s still a loss for me. Am I supposed to feel sorry for the Sqn Ldr in this scenario?

1 Like

The standard required for us to volunteer are a lot higher and we are expected to hold the same standards as regular RAF. We also pay our own way, own mess bills, uniform, kit etc.

1 Like

Yes, but they get significantly less military bullshit to go with it.

As an example, I’d happily volunteer for just expenses if the organisation didn’t expect me to spend a day of my annual leave driving to RAF Middle-Of-Sodding-Nowhere to be ‘shown’ how to drive a white fleet 4x4 THAT’S JUST A CAR FOR THE PURPOSES I’LL BE USING IT FOR.

21 Likes

The bottom line here is that most individuals who contribute to the RAFAC complete their own pain and pleasure analysis on a rolling basis usually revisited each time a change( be it admin, pay or activity) makes an impact; this is just another change. Given all the changes ongoing it will be difficult to determine which have had a positive or negative effect. Hopefully HQAC has determined a success/failure measure for each of the changes it has made and will be
held to account against those measures by HQ22Gp on a regular basis

1 Like

Did you get out of the optimistic side of bed today?

1 Like

Your leaders need to stop comparing you to the scouts when making their arguments.

I understand the point they’re making, but they expect far more of you and expect to exert a higher degree of control.

They can’t have it both ways. They already get double the weekly output without considering the higher burden of admin that surely comes from the military.

I’d be really annoyed if I was being compared to a scout leader. Not because they don’t work hard, but because your bosses must know how much harder you have to. To say nothing of that then being used as part of the justification for limiting your allowances (although I believe that stands on its own merit).

3 Likes

Always optimistic…often disappointed. My main point (obiquely put) is that the current Comdt and COS main effort appears to be to " professionalise" the way the RAFAC is run. The principle of leading by example
leads me to hope that HQAC will therefore demonstrate leadership by ensuring that they have developed robust change measurememt indicators alongside each policy change. Standing by to continue to hope for the best but plan for the worst.

2 Likes

It’s even funnier when you drive there in a 4x4.

2 Likes

Like the very professional announcement of CAC’s departure via an “open for work” LinkedIn post?

Excellent leadership, professionalism, and setting of an example by Tony Keeling.

3 Likes

Or force you to claim and do loads of extra admin.

If they automated it so your home postcode + event postcode = healthy mileage allowance plus £10 for some grub, I reckon most people would be content with that. Plus you’d save all the time and expense and frustration of claims.

4 Likes

Just seen a interesting comment on the annoucement from a contingent commander asking if this applys to them as thry do not have acting ranks so all flt lt ranked ccf hold the rank as substantive. If true, i can see this casuing some issues.

1 Like

It explicitly says ‘up to Fg Off’. So that’s that.

1 Like

My understanding is CCF are still only substantive Fg off. They just still get the rank of Flt Lt Unpaid after 9 years commissioned service as Officers serving at ATC units did pre CFC. One of the many slight differences where the CCF CFAV’s benefit.