VA already being curbed!

It’s 8 days for camp staff, up to 11 for the CC.

1 Like

It’s a new RAFAC-wide policy called CACE (no idea what it stands for). Various criteria which if met require a business case and often results in VA being reduced in order for the event to still go ahead.

Or not go ahead, in particular if CFAVs are seriously out of pocket and that causes strife at home.

1 Like

Out of curiosity was it an outright no to all?

Only because on some of the ones I’ve been on (and has been for years) they’ve limited the number who can claim. So 4 staff can claim VA - of additional want to go its their choice but as long as they are aware they won’t be able to claim.

I’ve received 14 days each time I’ve done the full two weeks at RIAT…and i doubt I’m the only one.
Those attending for 7 days I’m certain would have got the full amount too

3 Likes

All, which is not good

My work gives the normal paid time off, which I usually have entirely booked out for things I need to do in my personal life.

Attending a cadet camp of any description, except one that’s weekend-only, would require me to take unpaid time off.

Not receiving VA would then make it impossible for me to attend any camp. How do you pay your bills when no-one is paying you? Are CFAVs expected to use their savings to pay for their attendance at camp? If so, what’s the actual tangible benefit for the cost?

After quite a troublesome return to parades last night, I find myself more and more contemplating if this is the organisation for me or not.

4 Likes

You say RAFAC-wide, I’ve seen no such thing in my region

1 Like

Camp, Activity, Course and Event (CACE) Process.

From this point forward, all activities need to have a CACE Matrix completed unless the activity states in writing on SMS that they will not be spending any public money. So that means:

• No VA
  • No T&S
  • No Clarity/MT/rail ticket
  • No eating in the mess at military rates
  • No use of DTE
1 Like

Thought there was a minimum requirement; over 50 cdts and/or 3 days in length.

There are a string of different requirements from different regions. Coz, you know, One RAFAC and all that.

2 Likes

It sounds like theyre trying to reduce VA without following the proper process with the MOD - they cant just cut the days or rates. So instead are not allowing us to use our entitlement by bringing in this business case requirement for events over a cetain size or length.

2 Likes

What process? JSP 814, which is the MODs policy that dictates VA (amongst all the other CF policy), states it is up to the single Service to decide how to go about it. With a cap at 28 days.

CF are voluntary youth organisations and most CFAV attendance at cadet training is unremunerated. However, the CF may remunerate CFAV for some training days, courses and camps. The number of days for which remuneration, in the form of Volunteer Allowance (VA), may be claimed is at the discretion of sS. Attendance at parade nights is not remunerated. Rates of remuneration are set out in JSP 754 and issued by the single Services.

So it’s up to HQ basically… Currently ACP 300 is actually pretty strict in terms of VA, it’s just that up until now it’s been a bit of a free for all, with people claiming for pretty much anything a lot of the time. If HQ want to tighten up on that, they absolutely can within policy.

As to whether that is a good idea is a while other argument, but what they are doing certainly has the backing of current policy as far as I can tell. There’s no where in policy that gives an ultimate entitlement to VA. Only an availability at the discretion of the CoC.

I’m certainly not arguing the removal of VA is a good thing, just that HQ absolutely can reduce the availability within current policy/process.

2 Likes

It would still be useful for them to justify or provide clarity on what they will or won’t accept. It’s not sneaky, it’s really obvious they’re making it more effort than it’s worth to claim it.

8 Likes

Yeah, 100%.

No matter what the policy says currently or previously, they are adding in steps that didn’t exist a year ago. And the steps that are being added seem to be varying between areas.

If the problem is a HQ budget one, then what ever changes happen should be organisation wide, and not vary between regions.

1 Like

Nothing seen on the CCF front yet, but I’ve not put anything in for authorisation since December.

Curbs on VA are not unprecedented, although I do think we (CFAVs) should take a firm line on this - if we just muddle on and do the activities anyway then we shoot ourselves in the foot. RAFAC has managed to avoid budget curbs like this in the past but the Army have had to cut VA on occasion due to budget overruns.

Curbs on travel, use of DTE, use of messes at military rates etc. would be unprecedented (I think) and hence a Big Deal. If CFAVs work for free, the least they can do is ensure we are not out of pocket.

2 Likes

Seconded.

ACP300 lists what events attract VA. CFAVs have applied that and submitted claims.

it would appear that list of “Core activities” hasn’t changed but it would seem the style of those events has yet it would seem from what people are saying it doesn’t matter if this is a single day AT event or a week long camp both ends of the scale are being refused…

I’m hearing the words “CFAV Strike”

1 Like

Can you strike when we are not employed. We can just remove our right to volunteer for activities!!

the trouble is, other than the “big ticket events” (which make the Org look good) the greatest impact will be on the Cadets.
CFAV Strike = opportunities won’t be run any more = Cadet miss out.

the cynic in me says those at Cranwell have little interest in what experience the Cadets get - given there is such a “post code lottery” on what experiences Cadets get goes some way to show this - and it doesn’t even have to be between Scotland and England, or the north and south, or region to region - the differences between Squadrons within a Wing, even between neighbouring Squadrons shows that there is no “typical” Cadet experience.
While CFAVs going on strike has an impact on 123 Sqn not running X and Y event any more, for 456 Sqn 7 miles away in the next town - that is “standard” to not do X and Y so how will people notice?

3 Likes