Using a Windows Server on Sqn

Get your SNCOs set up with the genetic account then that does save some work as they can then go to the training hub them selves.

Which is fine until the Role Account licensing is removed at the conclusion of the Personal Accounts project when they will purely be for SMS and shared mailboxes

I think it already has been, in some Regions?

Cant we just allow cadets to be able to access the training hub somehow? :pleading_face: What’s the worst they can do? Learn too much? Or will this be a thing once Learn is here?

2 Likes

@anon59391077 is the man with the most know here, but I understand that the training resources will go onto Learn, and then sqn staff can register cadets for courses so that they can access it.

1 Like

Which is how we did it before the materials were taken out of Ultilearn

Yea or as someone said higher up allow us to create anonymous links / shares

I still think that having a one drive per Sqn (not for each role account) would help hugely and prevent issues with data security.

I get that a role account maps to a single person but a Sqn generic account is designed for multiple users.

It could then be synced to a device cadet instructors have access to on the unit.

You mean like the SharePoint site that sites behind the Sqn Team that was created in 2020 and can be synced to PCs?

Some MS Documentation on this - Overview of Teams and SharePoint integration

• When you create a new team from scratch, a new SharePoint site is created and connected to the team.
2 Likes

What we need is for all cadets to be able to access all training material at all times via learn.

They can self study. Prep lessons. Access to teach etc.

Please dont make us have to register them.
Just admin for admins sake.

That’s a useful thing. I need to explore it more.

We have a Synology NAS server which works well. Can access from home, assign anyone an account.

2 Likes

Would you not have to log in to a personal account though, potentially giving access to everything else in your OneDrive?

Yes… but you sync the document libary, which I think can be done without the personal onedrive.

What you could do is have this sync to the server and this then be a shared drive.

The other issue is that MS Sync has changed so it doesn’t download by default anymore

1 Like

This goes back to my OP.

I want to share files/ sync devices (Sqn PC1, Sqn PC2 etc). Our set up now is based on personal accounts that not everyone can access. So I think a local server or NAS is the way, even though I would have preferred to use something within Bader.

Based on what @themajor is saying re personal accounts, I think the synced SharePoint folder would only require to be logged into once (or on password change) and there would be no further dependence on personal accounts.

They can log onto the Cadet Training Portal . . .
add https://rafac.sharepoint.com/sites/CadetTrainingPortal as a bookmark on your sqn computers and cadets log in with their cadet portal account.
Also, set your sqn computer web browsers to not offer to save passwords, and clear cache etc upon close.

Hold up; All cadets can login and use that?! This is a game changer if that is the case, and negates most need for shared storage system on the squadron if they can access as the training stuff here!!

Yep, get one of your cadets to try it next parade night.

Sorry. Are you saying cadets can access shrarepoijt with their CP login? Or just the training portal?

I suspect they can currently access the whole of sharepoint . . . but little point in them doing so.