Upper Age Limit for Uniformed CFAV

Kit. Lots and lots of kit.

4 Likes

But theyā€™re my hobbies before being a RAFAC volunteer, so Iā€™d buy it anyway

Not necessarily; Iā€™d say the kit you require as an instructor / leader is often different to what you might buy simply for doing the hobby for yourself.

2 Likes

Hmm, I can see that argument, but as someone with a couple of different AT hobbies and in clubs for those hobbies (and, pertinently, have done freelance work), I would have them anyway.

I think it probably comes down to what and where those hobbies are: a 4* WW paddler (even only doing it with peers) is going to have the same (or more) kit they need to run intro to paddlesport sessions

1 Like

Indeed - but thatā€™s not applicable to everyone. I donā€™t freelance for instance; so the only reason I buy leader equipment is to deliver activities for the organisation. Indeed the only reason I do some courses which I fund myself are to enable delivery of stuff for the organisation.

2 Likes

that is your specific and indivual example

shooting for instance is not easily done with the same similarities outside of the RAFAC.

I have known CFAVs buy the gucci No3 kit out of VA as theyā€™ll use it on the cold, wet days at the 600m point on the rangeā€¦

they wouldnā€™t be buying that for their air rifle use in their back gardenā€¦

thinking out loud probably the circles Iā€™m in, but I know a lot more AT folk than bang bang stick folk

without VA, maybe thereā€™d be more of an argument theyā€™d be able to get it from stores? (or is this too naĆÆve?!)

firstly CFAVs are not issued No3s

secondly what people have got is past ā€œstandard issueā€

but that is just clothing.
there have been examples of ear protectors or scopes which are private purchase which cannot be supplied with an NSN (and if they could not eligible to the RAFAC)

so why isnā€™t that the question?

1 Like

This!
It all goes on kit.
Kit for me.
Kit for donating to Sqn.
Kit for others.

I rekon I ā€˜getā€™ about 200 quid a year for me and I use that to pay towards taking the mrs out for the night. As a thank you for letting me be away all the time.

I totally get that there is a very wide set of backgrounds and personal circumstances amongst the staff cohort. I personally think of it all a bit more holistically: Iā€™m in the very lucky position of having the ability to (and happily) spend spare salary income on things like this (given lack of children)

1 Like

Think Iā€™m in the same boat as you @ccw34

Ultimately I supplement that ATC kit as I want the kit, and it will make the experience for cadets better which I enjoy, or my life more comfortable. I could not buy the extra itemsā€¦

I think there is a balance to be had. We tend to expect everything to be issued or providedā€¦ There are plenty of organisations where people supplement out their own pocket.

Most other clubs, scouts etc, will see people shelling out of their own pocket too on uniform/additional kit etc.

Itā€™s a balance.

1 Like

The argument here is that if the kit is required/desirable to enable the teaching/experience then the Sqn/Wg etc should purchase and loan out as required
If the justification canā€™t be made for this then perhaps the kit is a ā€˜I wantā€™ rather than an ā€˜I needā€™ā€¦

However, what you do with your VA is up to you :sunglasses:

Take VA away and replace with ā€˜Expensesā€™ and you open the organisation up to a large collection of rules and a requirement to staff an Expenses department (which we wonā€™t get) or an even longer process period to payment

On Topic
Is it commission before 65 or have to leave at 65? Not that I will last that long :mask:
If it becomes at RC discretion for over 65 then it opens up all sorts of ā€˜Why them not meā€™ if it is subjective or it becomes a tick box again which we all know works brilliantlyā€¦

3 Likes

ACP 20 PI203

The upper age limit for uniformed CFAV is 65 years and, although there is no entitlement to an extension beyond that, the chain of command will make their decision based on the needs of the RAFAC. Reviews will be on an annual basis.

and

The upper age limit is 65 years but Comdt RAFAC has the authority to allow 1-year extensions beyond this on a case by case basis, taking into account the individualā€™s continued suitability for the role, their continued suitability to wear uniform, and any requirement to develop other volunteers.

So in theory, I guess, even the RC canā€™t accept someone for commission past their 65th.

1 Like

Jesus. You lot are the worst. Iā€™ll clean this up later.

6 Likes

Poor pep.

164-1642199_transparent-wrecking-ball-png-transparent-miley-cyrus-wrecking.png

(Really very sorry) :frowning:

2 Likes

No disrespect intended but if the ā€œrulesā€ say in this case the upper age is 65, beyond which you need ā€˜permissionā€™, so be it. Otherwise you get into as suggested the messy world of caveats and conditions, which are open to challenge and explanation and if told no in the modern world there is the bitching and bleeding heart platform that is social media.
I think itā€™s right and proper to have age limits that are fixed.

It does seem like being happy in your own skin is a problem for some, if youā€™re happy in yourself and what you do, do the clothes matter. There is IMO no reason to be in uniform unless you are into drill or want to run a sqn, outside of those two things what is there, where a uniform is a necessity.

In some ways this reminds me of cadet we had who wanted to join up purely so he could feel part of it when the old lags started on their war stories.

Indeed, not that long ago that the upper age limit for uniformed staff was 55

I think it still is for joining.