Upper Age Limit for Uniformed CFAV

Any thoughts about the 65 year old upper age limit for uniformed staff. As we all know when your reach 65 you have to apply for yearly extensions. I personally think that this should be abolished, the reason being if you are physically fit and carrying out your duties and with the experience you have gained over the years in the Corps you should be able to extend for 5 years instead of having to apply every year for extensions. I know this doesn’t apply to AEF and VGS staff who are pilots.

1 Like

Totally agree, age shouldn’t be an automatic reason to leave uniform. There does need to be clear grounds to tell someone that they shouldn’t be in uniform any longer, but those grounds should be the same for a 35 yo as a 70 yo.

1 Like

Totally disagree with an arbitrary upper limit, you can either be effective or not, don’t keep me around for another 37 years waiting for me to turn 65, if I’m useless get rid.

1 Like

And the criteria for “useless” would be:

Subjective
from tick-box exercise
Other options available
??

Yup, chin it.

Anything that takes our focus away from effective/not effective is doing us harm. Age, hair colour, favourite curry - it’s simply noise that we should tune out.

Secondly, it’s a hangover from a previous generation that’s now far less relevant than it was 40 years ago: in the 1980’s someone of 70 was old, now someone at 70 is still middle aged.

The criteria should be directly related to the uniformed CFAV role. It’s not easy to define, but age isn’t one of them

off topic so sorry for raising it but…

…i thought following an incident that the upper age limit for AEF pilots was set at 65?

All i can find via Google is a Wikipedia link indicating it is so but seem to recall something about an upper age limit as something had happened to an “old” pilot and the control measure going forward was to reduce the max age of pilots to 65…?

Maybe linked to ICAO / EASA limits of age 65? That said, EASA has certainly filed papers to consider increasing the age slightly to 68. Already actioned: - up to the day before 68th birthday:

In Japan, a country where the over-65s make up a quarter of the population, the government says it will limit flying time for older pilots to 80 percent of the normal maximum, meaning 80 hours per month or 216 hours over three months.

The co-pilot of a 65-plus aircraft commander must be aged 59 or younger, and those who opt to continue beyond their 65th birthday will have to undergo epilepsy tests.

Found it…

VGS pilots can continue past 65, they are restricted to flying/training with other pilots that are under 65 with a certificate of qualification on type.

what benefit is that to the Cadets?
Given what we fly are two seaters, and both seats are occupied what benefit is there for a 65+ pilot to be “hours building” at a VGS?

1 Like

That means an old but advanced trainer could train other trainers.
That’s all.

ahhh ok, i see
the P1 pilot can be 65+ if “training” a PUT providing the “student” is already signed off to fly the aircraft

I’m 69 in May, I’m a CI rather than uniformed purely because if age. I’m a OAA instructor with a local uni, Dartmoor moor guide and regular rock climber.

Just too old and decrepit to be in uniform.

1 Like

Slightly related FOI that went into the ACF.

As with ATC the issue isn’t whether you can be an active member, it’s what role you can perform in.

I’m a CI I’d prefer a uniformed role. Can do one, not the other, soley on the basis of age.

We can’t have you showing us youngsters up!

The Air Cadets seems to like the words effective and ineffective as they can be banded around with gay abandon and interpreted loosely to label people to suit the situation.

As for age there has to be cut off point so that as an individual can think you’ve done your bit, can hang up your tools, take life easier and give the youngsters a go, rather than just carry on. I think the Yanks need an upper age for people to stand for President!

If the Air Cadets was a true hobby age would not be a thing, but it’s not a true hobby and so age is a thing. I know a clutch of people well into their 80s and 90s who volunteer in all sorts of places, no questions asked. It is ironic that not so many years ago on this forum being between 50 and 60 and running a sqn, was frowned upon by many.

Have you considered writing a letter to which ever is your group captain?

Outline your argument. Use defence writing standards and request a board.

1 Like

This is actually pretty solid advice. The worst they can do is say no

3 Likes