Uniform to weddings/funerals

I agree generally with what’s already been said, but one thing I will add (and it’s something I have seen) is it can make sense if the couple met though cadets and a lot of their mutual friends are also through the organisation. It can then be a way of celebrating that!

Generally I think the idea is a bit odd/walty though.

1 Like

I’ve known two CFAV friends who were married in their No 1.
It attracted some poor comments from one or two individuals who were just out for a grumble anyway but it seems that the vast majority didn’t give it a second thought.

Whilst I can understand where the “Walty” concerns come from I’m going to suggest that it’s actually not Walty at all.
To be a true Walter Mitty one has to be pretending to be something that one is not.
Our No 1 uniform is our uniform. Wearing it, no matter the occasion, is not the same as pretending to be a regular.

The “scout uniform” argument falls down simply on account of the fact that scout uniform is not appropriately formal for a wedding, so obviously few people would wear it.
Plenty of civies and volunteers get married in one uniform or other. I can think of two good examples straight off the top of my head… One Coastguard Rescue and one Special Constable. Both got married in their No 1.

My personal opinion is that it’s the couple’s day… If donning their smartest uniform from their RAFAC service makes the day more special for them then they should go for it, and to hell with the naysayers. In the grand scheme of things, who gives a toss what they think about it anyway?

8 Likes

I’d argue are more “professions” (certainly the constable) than a youth leader CFAV and thus more valid than simply a hobby

As I say, I see where you’re coming from… But…

Both of those roles are voluntary. We volunteer to develop young people, one of those volunteers to Police, the other volunteers to save lives.
Who is to say what is valid?
The whole point of a wedding is that it should be a happy day for the couple and is entirely personal to them.
If they feel it’s suitably valid then I’d say that theirs should be the only opinion that matters.

6 Likes

That would get severe eye roles at work, as would a regular PC getting married in uniform.

We all wore uniform to Leroys too

1 Like

Ultimately, I suspect that this whole contentious topic is far less about whether CFAV service is suitably “valid” to wear uniform to a wedding, and far more about some service people feeling that the military holds the ‘copyright’ to marrying in one’s own uniform.
Perhaps instead of asking whether a CFAV should be allowed, we should be asking the contrary side to give a good reason why it should only be acceptable for the military and no other organisation.

1 Like

I got married in uniform, it seemed like the right thing to do. Several of the guests also wore their uniform also.

5 Likes

Hundreds at Gaz’s (450ish) I also attended one for a WO from Aldershot Sqn… Sadly 2 regulars too…

1 Like

I’ll wade in.

I got married in uniform. I met Mrs Tornado through the Corps. She’s from a forces family, with her father having served in the RAF. Lots of friends in the ATC, one of my best men was a CFAV and former RAF. We had lots of attending RAF, including senior officers.

Both of us are still heavily involved with the corps.

I don’t consider myself Walty for doing it. It was actually Mrs Tornado’s suggestion.

Only stipulation from WExO and OC Wing, was no swords.

Evening we changed into No5s.

I’ve also attended two funerals for CFAVs in my time. Both families requested uniform, if the person wished to, to show a sea of blue for the departed.

Both devoted nearly all their time to the corps.

4 Likes

Yes then you’ll be insured :grin:

1 Like

I’ve worn uniform to the funeral of a cadet before. Very sad occasion obviously but the family really appreciated how many staff and cadets attended to pay respects.

I know a few that have had swords, only stipulation was they had to have some guidance of no-no’s (pirating being one, no cutting the cake etc)… and IF they needed to remove/replace from scabbard that they knew the correct movement and timings …

When I was on my arms drill course we were informed some of that’s got so bad in recent that heafty refundable deposits are taken to pay for damages if they are returned in a different standard to what they are drawn as

1 Like

Mrs Tornado bought me a Miniature RAF Sword as a present for the wedding, and we had some pictures taken of us “cutting” the cake with it. Then we used a knife for the actual thing.

1 Like

was £250 - I think it moved to £750 plus the hire…

That’s actually pretty cool and I’d be totally be onboard with that.

1 Like

750 was what we were told… Some stations have waivers to replace the sword if damaged beyond repair.

Basically we were told take the swords off the officers after the official bit and before they start on the orange juice

3 Likes

The irony being that the non-public swords (from the Halton pool at least) were already in pretty iffy condition.

In addition to the deposit they strongly encourage that you take out insurance too.

As for ‘guidance’ it is a requirement of the hire to confirm that all persons have received or will receive sword drill training from a DI.

2 Likes

I had to make an application to marry in uniform back in the mid-90’s. It went through the system and ended up with both Stn SyO and the Stn Cdr. Quick brief on Persec to me and the GoH; and permission was granted.

Took around a week from application to permission IIRC and there were absolutely no dramas during the process.

Mind you, I was an NCO then so sword-fighting wasn’t an issue.

Yeah this aswell

1 Like