Uniform standards... discuss

This pretty much describes the CIs on my sqn.They always make a special effort when its Formal Inspection time or if we have visitors. most of the rest of the time you ll find them in sqn polo shirts.

Then I would become ā€œgoneā€. Being a CI is one reason I chose the ACO over the Sea/Army Cadets.

Ant Middleton
Santa Claus

Beards have been ruined by hipsters. Itā€™s all about the moustache.

The Royal Navy donā€™t require the use of Respirators. The RAF do require it, having to operate an Airfield in all conditions including CBRN.

I literally linked the source below it.

when are they going to start?

1 Like

Okay, okay - Calm down Pablo Mason

4 Likes

That wasnā€™t what I meant. I am quite sure someone came up with that figure and probably someone paid it at some point. What I really meant was it was totally unreasonable.

No1 uniform doesnā€™t cost Ā£900.

Its around Ā£390-400 depending on what gongs you have. I recently paid Ā£390 for mine.

The Chris Hoy thing probably included the cost of his No1 Hat (with scrambled egg), Gloves and shoes plus ranking and mounting of his MBE and KB and ranking.

A friend at stores estimated No1s come in on average at Ā£600. I did wonder if he got 5s as well though. Carol has 5s.

my 5ā€™s were Ā£550 including ranking.

You can get PW No1ā€™s and 5ā€™s from stores at Cranwell for about Ā£150 a set but you are limited to what they have in stock.

I currently have my old No1ā€™s for sale if any one is interested!!:wink:

Funny that, I work in an environment where I see members of all three Armed Forces, of all ranks, wearing beards.

It seems to be a slow burn, more and more slowly growing a beard and nothing is said.

Depends entirely on their unit, their job, their chain of command, their environment, their facilities, their health reasons, numerous reasons why someone might have a beard. In general Navy donā€™t need a resi on a ship. The firefighting BA is positive pressure so you donā€™t need to worry about it as much as a resi.

Wait do you work with the dog section?

Just smear some Vaseline around the rim and you get a decent seal anyway.

Giggidy.

1 Like

Us Civvie CBRN responders have done away with respirators and gone to Powered Respirator Suits, no more mandatory shaving.

2 Likes

Still a rather dubious reason, given that Muslims, Sikhs and people with skin conditions are not - to the best of my knowledge - immune to nerve agents.

If the rule for them is ā€œyou might have to shave it off if the CBRN-poo hits the fanā€ then why canā€™t it be the rule for everyone?

Hitler?
Stalin?
Barry and Paul Chuckle?

2 Likes

Because itā€™s SJW kneejerks everywhere. Also why can women have long hair but dudes canā€™t?

But itā€™s an interesting point and one that gets discussed all the time, usually when you are in the field and get picked up for not shaving. Thereā€™s no shaving in the jungle, or Norway, so why in wales when there is no CBRN threat.

Thereā€™s the whole argument about hygiene and discipline too.

Maybe itā€™s time for the rules to change. They changed for the First World War where everyone had to have a moustache. And then it became optional.

If it wasnā€™t so fashionable and all the hipsters had ruined it, I would be all for it.

Not much of an argument.

Indeed. The public services use the gas/liquid tight suits. However, how does it effect your shooting? Are you able to hold an aim?
Itā€™s an awfully big bit of kit and makes you a bigger target.

Powered, so you need more batteries and more weight? And limited, how does adverse weather effect it?
Some types require the use of BA inside the suits. Shall we just through on a SCBA set under our top flap too?
Canā€™t exactly have different stages of donning for different situations with one either.
Whatā€™s it like for tabbing in?

Are you able to live in said suits for days on end? Have you not read the NBC drill for taking a dump? And of course the two finger sniff test.

Maybe not for you, but despite this being a first world country there are still a lot of people who arenā€™t used to or know how to wash, keep clean and shave. Thatā€™s why week 1 day 1 is still instructions on how to wash and shave.

These lessons were also learnt in the trenches. Itā€™s not difficult. If you raf/desk types want to grow a beard so bad, go right ahead! Itā€™s the that hard to shave and itā€™s not a hardship. Itā€™s only a beard.

Not at Cranwell it isnā€™t :wink:

1 Like