UK armed forces' personal data accessed in hack

BBC Parliament has it now listed as 1630

1 Like

Appears we donā€™t have access to the right area to get the code required.

1 Like

Agreed, I got the same

Interestingly, thereā€™s been talk of making SCIO available from personal devices since the transition from trades to professions. This seems to have been the thing that finally pushed its availability via Defence Gateway.

Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll find a way to get a unique code to every CFAV on the ā€˜payrollā€™ (VAroll?)

What actually is SCIO? Itā€™s not an acronym I know?

No idea what I stands for, but it presents JPA information in more modern looking and meaningful dashboards. The key thing I use it, and promote it to my aviators, for is mandatory training compliance.

To check your mandatory training in JPA you have to know what to look for and notice its absence: whereas SCIO presents it similarly to Volunteer Portal (except it shows the expiry dates and has links to the respective DLE courses).

Edit: It was also used to manage ā€˜offers to transferā€™ to the new professions, hence my earlier comment.

1 Like

From a Fish head brief:

My SCIO ā€“ EASY TO READ JPA PERSONAL DATA, ACCESS TO THE JOBS LIST AND
PROMOTION BOARD PERFORMANCE
Key Points:
ā€¢ My SCIO ā€“ An easy to read application of personnel information available to all
members of the Naval Service.
ā€¢ Access to My SCIO is via the HRA Portal - http://web.apps.royalnavy.r.mil.uk/hra
ā€¢ Gives Ratings information on Planned and Published Promotions and Extensions
Boards. Officersā€™ Boards will be available from November 2018.
ā€¢ JPA is not necessarily the most straight forward way for NS personnel to review their own
personal data and in particular the things that are important to them in career terms. My SCIO
has been developed as a simple way of enabling people to see such information on a single
page.
ā€¢ The data on My SCIO page shows amongst other things, current annual salary (and average
salary in next rank), recent OPG scores and recommendations, eligibility for promotion or
performance at the most recent board, and whether or not key attributes such as RNFT or
SC/DV are in date. In addition, there is access to the Jobs List which shows roles which are
available in the current and higher rank and enables the individual to highlight positions
which they would like to their Career Manager to be aware of; both good and bad. It also
provides shortcuts to the My Offer and the Pension Calculator websites.
ā€¢ The My Info link provides a one stop shop for all relevant items held within JPA; these include
personal info, contact type, current assignment with the FKSEs the position attracts (Officers
only) and preference details.
ā€¢ For avoidance of doubt the My SCIO page is unique to the individual - it is their JPA data they
view, no-one elseā€™s. Where individuals have concern over the accuracy of the My SCIO page
they are directed on it to their DO or HR line management to discuss. The information within
My SCIO reflects JPA data which is no more than 48 hours old.
ā€¢ SP will be able to check whether they are going to be presented to the upcoming Promotion
and Extensions Board. They will either have a status of Eligible for Board Automatic in which
case they will be presented or Not Eligible for board Automatic in which case it will state in
the comments what requirement they are failing on.
ā€¢ Boards should be checked by the SP around 3 months prior to the board commencing and if
the SP believes their status to be incorrect i.e Not Eligible for board Automatic they should in
the first instance contact their Divisional Officer and/or Unit Personnel Office.
ā€¢ Ratingsā€™ Published Boards will be published the week after the Promotions Board has sat,
normally at 1200 on the Monday. SP are then able to see if they were selected for promotion,
selected as a reserve or not selected in which case they will be able to see the position they
came on the board in terms of top, middle or bottom third.
ā€¢ The ability to self-manage an individualā€™s career is pivotal in allowing the individual to feel
valued. The My SCIO application allows all NS Personnel the facility to effectively manage
their own careers in one central location without the need to use multiple dashboards and
applications.

It appears we have now been allowed access to SCIO to get this code. Albeit, getting into SCIO works, but clicking on anything seems to break it instantly. So no progress really.

Is that via the Defence Gateway link? (does it in fact now appear in apps)

Yes, it appears in the apps list for me now. But nothing on there works.

Clicking the link in the PDF talking about eh Equifax thing also goes directly there, but errors out too.

1 Like

Silly question that Iā€™m sure no-one here has the answer forā€¦

I resigned over 2 years ago, what are the chances that my data was in the breach or not and would I get notifications either way?

1. Whose details are involved in the compromise?
    The system concerned is used to transmit details to banks facilitating payments for Regular, Reserve, and Cadet Adult Volunteer force personnel. Whilst investigations continue, it is possible that some legacy data detailing the payment to those who left the Service, but have received a payment from 2018 may also be included. Forensic investigations are ongoing to refine who may have been affected.

So itā€™s a maybe.

2 Likes

Working for me right now:

I clicked on MySCIO, Personal Protection Data Service (Get Token)

and that produced my personal token. Maybe give it another go - you might have been very early in the process.

(FWIW Iā€™m an officer, and previously VR(T) - not sure if SNCO will find it different)

I get this:

Perhaps to do with being a CI?

Though i doubt the payroll systems for VA and Mileage/H2D are different, so it shouldnt matter - but i bet you someone didnt think about that

1 Like

Arenā€™t they both on JPA?

Thanks, Iā€™m glad that RAFAC/MOD have notified me directly :roll_eyes:

Iā€™m current CFAV, but got a letter this morning through the post.

Itā€™s possible you might get something by post soon?

Same here :+1: