Tutors grounded?

Yes…

Indeed it was not and knowing what I do, this grounding was the right decision.

1 Like

Single incident AFAIK

Yeah, fully agree on this one!

…….So presumably, EASA have brought out an Airworthiness Directive grounding the worldwide fleet, until operators comply with a Grob EASB that details the oil system inspections and rectification work required?

If that’s not happened, then it’s the MAA once again thinking it knows better than an airworthiness organisation 100 times it’s size!

My Flying slot this weekend has been cancelled due to an unspecified tech issue with the tutor - guess this is the reason why!

1 Like

I had an interesting chat with Southern Sailplanes this morning. Just happened to be passing, collecting an aircraft from maintenance.

Can’t say anything here but it was truly fascinating!

It isn’t appropriate for me to discuss the broader reasons as to why it is the correct course of action, but truly, it is.

Take that as you will, but know I am one of the first to moan when heavy handed pauses happen.

So if it’s an oil leak that only affects the RAF fleet, then it must be something that Babcock are doing incorrectly?

Or it could be mechanical failure that is ticking down for other similarly houred aircraft…
Good call by the person who signs off on this.
This is the best course of action and if you can’t see that…

3 Likes

…then you haven’t been provided sufficient context with which to make an informed decision.

1 Like

In these days and years following the Hadden Cave Report, any engineer allowing an aircraft to be safe, even with an oil leak, is setting the wrong example :man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve seen the context too, and agree with @Horriblelittletechie.

There’s talk in the drinking policy thread about trust. This is another example. The top end don’t trust us, just saying ‘because oil leak’, rather than going into more detail.

It’s not like it’s a secret or anything. When the ‘oil leak’ occurred, a cadet was on board. So unless they’ve somehow been sworn to secrecy, then other people will know details soon enough. That cadet isn’t going to stay quiet about it. And nor should they be required too!

Arguably it’s better to publish the full DASOR to get ahead of any rumours.

3 Likes

The one area you’d expect a military-based organisation to be good at is comms, specifically on controlling the narrative (very similar to PsyOps). But we seem to be very “oh no, a bad thing, let’s hide it and let the rumour mill go turbo” instead

DASORS are meant to be public to encourage people to read them and therefore learn from what happened

1 Like

Always worth a read.

How long is the expected lifespan of the Tutor? I know CFS are pretty much all Prefects now but how many more fleet groundings will it take before the RAF pull the plug on the Tutor and AEF/UAS squadrons. The future of flying within RAFAC could easily be Gliding via VGS, “synthetic” via flight sims and the odd AEF on camp.

Some did a FOI for the cost of UAS in 2009-2010 was £13.1million. That doesnt include the RAFAC element.

The UAS is a really valuable recruitment tool for the RAF, they won’t get binned off.

Tutors are now 20+ years old, so replacement studies are well under way.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

:roll_eyes: Productive

1 Like