Tony Keeling - First day 'To-do-list'

We all know how a new boss invariably likes to make their mark by announcing a small change as soon as they step foot in the door.
So, with that in mind, what small change would you like to see the new Commandant rubber stamp on day one?

A starter from me … Bin the nonsense that only VGS or AGS can deliver the FAM and Blue ATP ground school, (it’s only Leading Cadet principles of flight at the end of the day). Have sqn flight sim’s approved by WAvnO’s on a year by year basis for the PTT element, (or bin PTT completely because they do it in the air anyway), and have the QAI’s deliver the ATP PowerPoint’s at sqn level.
The number of cadets gaining wings would go through the roof and this would hopefully aid retention.

5 Likes

Whilst I agree with you mostly there I’m not sure it’s the lack of wings affecting retention, it’s more the lack of any form of flying and our slow morphing into the scouts (despite being aimed largely at an older age group)

4 Likes

Fix* Ultilearn

* which may mean bin it and start again

(oh, you said small change…)

3 Likes

In hand already.

3 Likes

bin regions.

there’s a good argument for having senior officers pushing particular activity streams or problems/solutions - RC(N) for example - but there’s no real argument for two lots of geographic command structures.

3 Likes

Personally I’d have 3 South, Central, North & NI

First thing id do is appoint a comms manager that ALL comma have to go through

1 Like

Others share your view!

1 Like

^^ This.

Edit: * all internal, high-level comms. Please not every Sqn social media post.

1 Like

I’ve heard there is an internal comms job being advertised, can’t remember the details but I think it has been recognised there is a need.

Oooh. Also. Engage with ACC (and … that … facebook group) in a constructive and helpful manner.

1 Like

I worry with a structure like that you risk sidelining the more peripheral places.

If South Wales is lumped in with the South West and South East of England I can tell you were 90% of the interest and attention will be concentrated.

2 Likes

Depends where you put the HQ

Wonder how that conversation would go:

‘Right lads, options for the new ‘South Region HQ’?’
‘Northolt, Devizes, Port Talbot.’

I think I know which they’d pick…

(W&W’s HQ is at Cosford so didn’t think it would be geographically appropriate.)

2 Likes

As I understand, already in hand (to be handed to a volunteer)

1 Like

Who told you that?

:smirk:

1 Like

Good Thread!

I reckon he should backup the HQ sharepoint docs that are current, and of use, and then mass wipe everything else. It would make finding the correct information so much easier!

1 Like

Online DBS checks for new staff and 18+ cadets

4 Likes

It would be good to have a well-defined process for updating the syllabus and ultlilearn contents.

2 Likes

:100:

and perhaps a daily reminder to all permanent staff that CFAVs waste a lot of time trawling through directory structures which are not intuitive for people who do not do it all day every day…

2 Likes

A good proportion of that is probably the fault if other CFAV! :joy:

3 Likes