Tony Keeling - First day 'To-do-list'

do we?

I can’t say I recall Dawn making any similar move, what I do recall however was a Wing Training Day which Dawn visited a little over 100 days into the role.
Much like President Obama who was in office at the time, she used this milestone as a reflection “the 100 days in the life of CAC” and offered what she’d learnt, what needed addressing and what was not only working but had impressed her.

I very much doubt Tony is coming into this role blind, we already know he’s got three months run up publicly as the successor, i would guess a month more officially but not made public - he may even have been aiming for this role (a bit like Moulds) for a decade or more.

however I would be surprised if we see any many changes, developments or significant policy this side of Christmas.
As optimistic as it would be to see that he’s got a three month run up to the role and get up to speed, he’s got a handover of his own to shake off and would be a bold move to change something so quickly unless it was simply to reverse a previous decision, or shake up items which have been in the pipeline and dragged (easy examples that come to mind at ACTO035 and the use of BGA sites*)

all that aside, i like the premise of the topic and if it were me i’d consider its members first

1/ Although perhaps not in the engaging manner suggested by @Squirrel, i would be tempted to get a feel of what is said in the “forum” environment - be that ACC and on Social Media (namely Facebook groups).
the anonomous nature of a forum is an ideal chance to read what people might wouldn’t necessarily say in public, even less so via official channels. With the rise of SM it would be foolish to ignore what is being shared, what content the members are discussing, what is being promoted (or critically what elements of the RAFAC are not seen via SM and why)

2/ What is the feeling of the members? Specifically of elements the CAC office is responsible for. What gripes do they have and understand if they are justified or simply volunteers and Cadets not understanding an MOD system.

I would also seriously consider understanding what it is like at the coal face, the easy solution for that is become a “Service Instructor” for a month or two, but as the CAC it would be a treated as an appointment as a VIP.
As such instead try and consider the admins tasks which are expected of those volunteers we put in charge of Cadets.

Look at what is required in the recruitment process in becoming an appointed CFAV, the application of a day walk, or weekend camp or training course - actually use SMS and Sharepoint in “anger” - not just be shown it by the competent IT team familiar with the system but appreciate its idiosyncrasies

What expectations are put on the CFAVs regarding (mandatory) training is it reasonable in quantity and depth for a volunteer to consider? (ie is this mandatory stuff in line with what might be expected of a hobby or more akin to employment)
what are the training materials like - what is provided, it is fit for purpose?
What additional responsibilities are placed upon key individuals - namely Sqn OCs, it this reasonable asking for this to be done when we have full time paid staff at WHQs (and up the CoC) available particularly in a growing EWOW organisation

3/critically i would then challenge anything and everything to understand its place and justification and propose alternatives to ensure that the best methods of getting things done is used.

In short i would look at the organisation to ensure that the CFAVs are equipped to do the right things, and to do those things right

i accept that that isn’t a quick or first day “success” to tick off, but that is how i would approach the job on day one and met with my new team.

*i do appreciate that in the example offered, the decision is not simply a yes or no on the shoulders of the CAC and likely to be on advisement of a series of people/Committee of senior officers in agreement rather than the decision on a sole individual

4 Likes

@steve679 I like the ambition.

Didn’t Dawn have something about communication as her big thing when she started, which IIRC on both counts sort of started and then fizzled out.

What you are suggesting is a double term if it doesn’t derail any trainsets, tread on toes. But the caveat that he’s not able to do anything unless he gets the nod from faceless ‘boardrooms’ is the stumbling block. The problem with the basket case the ATC has become is IMO due to loss of activities and over cautious nature of the MOD/HQAC. When Moulds took it on, it wasn’t like it is now and I not sure he would have been able to have the impact he did now. Moulds’ big thing was not being fazed by challenging individuals, which was IMO his undoing.

For me 0900 day one no policy, activity, personnel etc initial releases on SM. only via email, once it’s out knock your socks off with SM

Longer term, I think put some fun back into the ATC for staff and make being a member of staff enjoyable, as it has become an admin trudge and morass of courses which if you don’t do, gets you a black mark. It has to stop feeling like a second job with really, really crap T&C. I can remember going to the squadron and feeling quite happy. But in recent years login to the email something has been stopped, changed, needs a course etc etc, which isn’t inspiring and as OC you invariably have to try and make it seem OK.

5 Likes

thank you.

as i work in another “volunteer” organisation which is members based many at the vocal end of the “membership” always complain HQ makes decisions without consulting the membership.

Although I am not expected Tony to put a poll to the CFAVs out each time a decision need making, but the comment about consulting the members is due to a fear that HQ don’t understand the members and volunteers on the ground.

I feel Tony could learn something from walking our shoes - literally using SMS as we would for a day walk, or a First Aid Training course or other event and understand the tools we use.
then use that system to update Cadet records, claiming for badges etc.
Likewise understand what a CO is expected to manage.

what I am suggesting is he simply understands those who are influenced by the decisions he makes.

He worked his way up the RAF from Airman as an engineer - yet for the RAFAC he is coming in straight at the top, injected into the position without any understanding or experience what those under this Command do…

I am not suggesting a double term, or that he doesn’t derail train set, or doesn’t tread on toes - many on these boards would have like to see Eddie Cole in the role of CAC as that is exactly what he was keen to do, upset the apple cart.

i just hope that he remembers how he got to the top of the RAF and although don’t expect him to repeat the process in the RAFAC at least have a fair appreciation of what goes on in the bottom

1 Like

He is an ex-cadet, which might have some effect on how he views things. I believe that wasn’t the case with the current CAC?

1 Like

I hope not, but there’s the risk he will be look at his experiences of being a cadet in the (I guess) late 70s / early 80s through rose-tinted specs, when the cadet experience was very different to what it is now

1 Like

But it might also mean he has more of an appreciation for what volunteers do.

That wouldn’t be the RBL would it? I would have to agree with the sentiment regarding RBL HQ, especially the number of exec jobs created within a charity setting and then expecting to have a free ride.

The ATC is in a fragile state at the moment and if we get someone coming in with loads of bluff and bluster, it could make things a whole lot worse. I think we will be stuck with restrictions of one sort or another for another 12 months, so any major changes will need to be put on hold, until as a country we get settled into the new normal.

It may also mean he has a - perhaps rose tinted - view of that the ACO should be. I’ll happily, loudly, say that the ACO of 1990, 2000 and 2010 were much more enjoyable, achieving organisations than the ACO of 2020.

A good dose of ‘we’re a bit crap, and we could be a great deal better’ wouldn’t go amiss in the structures of the ACO…

8 Likes

And the first thing anybody in the organisation would do is say “prove it”.

ATC or CCF?

ATC.

145sqn in Manchester

I’d happily compare my 3822 from the 90’s to a comparable cadet from 2020. I’ll bet a pound to a penny I did more AT, more radio, more shooting, more flying, more camps, more fieldcraft, more drinking and more gliding. I’ll also wager that I certainly didn’t do enter any “Road Safety Poster” competitions, undertake any ELA in H&S training, sit through yearly briefings on Climatic Injuries, security, risk assessments, and the cadet code of conduct.

12 Likes

And while that may be true, it doesn’t suggest that the ATC of then achieved more than the ATC of now.

And ‘enjoyability’ is impossible to prove.

1 Like

it would
but that shouldn’t come as a surprise to those who have spotted i have mentioned more than once on these boards that I wear an RBL hat

I am not going to comment on the RBL HQ but i will say that there is a similar poor taste of HQ/CAC within the CFAVs as there is with the RBL Members and volunteers and its HQ
why?
i think partly because on one side people are paid, and on the other they are volunteers
but also because those who are paid miss the point that these volunteers [/i]will[/i] do the extra work not because they are being paid, or because they want to, but because no one else will - but should that make it right?
being a volunteer should be made as easy as possible by those who are paid, not treating the volunteer like an unpaid employee

as i said above, i doubt we’ll see any change by the new CAC this side of Christmas, an eased lockdown or otherwise!

1 Like

Well, looking back at my experiences as a cadet, they will probably mirror many others - shooting, gliding, flying, camps galore. Raining outside? Right let’s crack on with some .22 shooting without a huge palaver of pre-auth (or WHTs - heresy!); same for fullbore shooting - very easy to organise & at least once a month.

Gliding was plentiful, although a bit of a transport issue from the Isle of Wight. AEF was easy - they came to us & flew for the day from Bembridge airport.

Finally, the 3822 effectively gave permission for anything! That included “jail breaks” in summer holidays as far away as Hong Kong!!

Whilst subjective, chatting in the intervening years with some of the ex-staff on my old sqn, I think that the admin burden then was significantly less, which had to make for less hoop-jumping.

1 Like

As a cadet in the late 80’s I went on more camps, and did more flying and shooting than any 10 current cadets in my entire wing.

As a CI and then service instructor in the 90’s I would certainly say that I could achieve far more in terms of cadet activities with far less hassle and work than I can now, and I’m adamant that I don’t enjoy it as much as I did 10 or 20 years ago - and that is due to a general morale malaise (fellow CFAV’s smile less), and that grinding feeling that I’m doing more work to achieve less.

Personally, I think that anyone who disputes that the ACO was ‘better’ both for cadets and staff, 10, 20, 30 years ago, has got to be on crack.

3 Likes

Depends entirely on how you’re measuring it.

Blanket statements help nobody, and a lot of what’s changed has come from the outside, rather than self-imposed rules. What can the ATC do about the RAF reducing its station footprint or number of aircraft?

More greens camps, more ‘super’ camps, different types of camps rather than your typical blues camp, more national camps etc.

1 Like

££££££££££ where are you getting the money from?

And those are alternatives, not replacements.

I don’t know enough about the financial side of it to comment, but the point you raised was reducing number of stations, not a smaller budget. The RAFAC has increased the number of those camps in the last few years. They may not be as accessible as we would like, but they’ve been put in place to an extent.

Not seeing your point?