TikTok

I wouldn’t have thought so - unless that came from an ‘official’ Sqn account?

As far as I know, we’re not banned from using it as individuals in the cadet forces, we’ve just been told not to use it as an engagement tool.

1 Like

TikTok will be a security concern, not a “posting stupid stuff” concern.
I’ll stake my lunch money on it.

Still hasn’t stopped people tagging them selves into certain locations on Facebook and thats been the case for absolutely years.
No one ever gets challenged on it.

@AlexCorbin We’ve got someone in personnel getting paid to “thumb waggle” for the business as part of what they do and everything goes through them for ‘sanity checking’. I don’t anyone outside the company that looks at it though. But they get paid to do it and are able to be “on it” all day to control output and responses.

We on the other hand don’t have that ‘luxury’ it’s some poor sod getting lumbered with it along with whatever else they are doing and it will be patchy, mostly restricted to when they have the time.

From what I can gather ATC SM is pretty much insular with very, very few non ATC followers, hence why we put things on the local towns FB. I know two people who follow senior HQAC twitters and they show me them from time to time, and it is all pretty inane, which when you think SM is very outward facing, makes you wonder why they bother, it leaves me very non-plussed. What it makes us look like to the outside world, if these are the people supposedly running the thing, god alone knows. Unless it’s like our MP and councillors who have said they feel pressured to put things on their twitters so those that can be bothered see they are doing something. One of our councillors said it has become the single worst part of being a councillor.

You’re not wrong about the negative aspects, but you’ve not mentioned any of the positive. We maintain fairly active FB, twitter, and Instagram accounts, and aim it at families of prospective recruits - We mention things like BTECs, DofE, Life skills for the parents, whilst posting pictures of the cool things we do. We engage with local groups online, and groups that have similar values to us.

If it’s maintained, and you understand how to get the best out of your page, you can reach a surprising amount of people, and plant the seed that your group might be a good place to go to.

My hope is that the younger elements will focus on the pictures, and the parents on our message that the RAFAC is a good organisation.

Taking a picture of cadets climbing into a Grob, and spending 5 minutes posting it on our SM accounts is much easier than writing an old school press release and hoping someone will run it.

3 Likes

Plus I find out about changes to policy/syllabus or course deadlines far sooner on SM.

1 Like

Don’t go there!

4 Likes

That isn’t helping your case.

3 Likes

Policy via TikTok. Now that I would like to see, maybe via the medium of interpretive dance?

4 Likes

I’d much prefer mime to dance.

So put it on mute.

1 Like

When I say mime I mean like the bloke being stuck in a box, climbing a ladder etc like I remember from my youffff on the Saturday night variety shows and things M&W, 2 Ronnies etc etc, not just muting some dance routine. But it would mean I’d need to be using it, which I wouldn’t under any circumstance. However it was Pans People doing the dancing I might consider it.

Because electronic warfare is a growing department and certainly isn’t limited to Social media. There’s a variety of stuff intelligence is attributed to.

That may Include monitoring social media of other countries soldiers/interesting members of certain groups of interests social media. For precisely the reasons we should be charging our people for. Security breaches and just stupidity.

Again cadets may need it as a vital engagement and recruiting tool to fit the demographic.

Because it fits a leftist, knee jerk demographic who insist on outrage media and causing trouble rather than the passage of information.

Anyone else remember the bloke wearing cam cream on the jungle posted one twitter, to which the outrage brigade jumped on it with cries of racism and blackface. To which the MOD dropped its fill, showed it had no spine and promptly deleted it and apologised, pandering to the outrage, granola vegan brigade. Instantly losing respect from everyone in the Forces. Instead of leaving it, educating and actually having some backbone.

Twitter is the most pointless social media, and it can all be linked to people’s other social media accounts. So you won’t be missing out on anything.

Do you not think that the armed forces need to engage with a similar demographic for recruiting purposes? Everyone in the recruiting target ages will be familiar with social media. If they don’t keep they’re going to be left in the dust.

Nope. For reasons stated numerous times
In my previous posts.

And if you are to have a SM. Have 1, that’s ministered and censored for the PERSEC of member of the armed forces.
Don’t have numerous accounts for numerous officers thinking they are some kind of Gucci special B list celebrity.

They can just get on with their job, the job they are paid to do, and the job the men and women under them expect them to do. I have little respect for any of my superiors on SM, it’s cringey, embarrassing and a waste of time. And it’s an opinion held by a very vast majority of the forces and emergency services.

For what it’s worth I think you’re wrong. The latest army recruiting campaigns, whilst derided by the likes of you, have done very well for the army. Filling their recruiting quotas for the first time in years.

Makes me wonder what you make of this? Posted on social media by the Swedish Armed Forces.

1 Like

recruiting quotas for capita maybe. But the recruiting process is long overdrawn. And the end number of trained soldiers from applicants is lower than ever.

“Some 47% of applicants drop out during the process - and the Army and Capita believe the length of time is a factor.”

Capita hit their first numbers since they started in 2012. Capita has been a failure.

“However, the service remains 10% below strength, with around one in five recruits who join leaving before their Phase 2 training.“

The argument against capita is a long and separate issue, and is an absolute dogs abortion. Officers and CEOs should be sacked because of it.

And the military is firmly in the dust regards to retention, morale and job satisfaction. I would rather the money and effort spent on REMFs playing on social media was actually better spent on the Forces.

And yep those recruitment posters did the rounds a log time ago in the numerous morale chats and military forums and were ripped apart, for various reasons.

They’re not recruitment posters and I think that reaction says everything that needs to be said.

The armed forces need to move with the times like everyone else. If they don’t retention and recruitment are only going to get worse. It’s not the Cold War anymore nor is it the late 90s or early 00s. Times have changed.

I can’t quite work out where your logic lies…
Your first comment said that we should not engage with anyone who uses Twitter.
At first I wondered if you just didn’t understand what the word “demographic” means and that you were actually saying that we shouldn’t use Twitter to engage with anyone… But here you seem to be using “demographic” in the correct manner (although questionably), so I assume that you do know. :thinking:

So I still can’t work out whether you are really implying that everyone who has any involvement with Twitter is a “leftist, knee-jerk, granola-vegan, out to cause trouble” (which would be patently polldarks), or whether you are trying to say “Don’t use Twitter because some of the users are not people we want”… Which would be a bit like saying “Don’t have a recruitment stand at the village fair because some of the people there are the local chavs.”

3 Likes