The Great Tent Pause of 2023

Isn’t the RIAT stockpile of big tents all canvas. ie the older ones which now can’t be used? :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes. Which is going to shaft them.

3 Likes

Is there not a label?

Are we permitted to indent for them?

Not that I can ever remember seeing. There must be somewhere I guess but I’m now going to have to inspect the whole bloody thing and each end panel and groundsheet to make sure.

Maybe they’ll be allowed, just like the red weather warning stoppage that didn’t effect them :wink:

3 Likes

Lol. I would be very surprised if we were. I doubt they have enough for RIAT once a year so if we all start doing that they’ll run out.

1 Like

Ive seen some inflatable versions being used by sqns.

Dont need the heavy poles.

Just a metric ton of pegs incase the wind picks up…

3 Likes

Our TSA sent a mass email out on Monday, Big T has been out and about & only probably got into the office today so CoS should have made sure this was passed out & actioned.

1 Like

To be fair. 12x12s are awful. Coldest nights of my life have been in 12x12s. I’d have been better off in a basha.

2 Likes

Wonder how many summer camps this will affect :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

yes hence my comment a subtle way to canx RIAT without saying it - remove the tents

I’d happily buy a new, acceptable version if I could find a supplier. But a google doesn’t seem to help.

1 Like

I’m not fully sure what it’s about as I’ve only received 6 emails :rofl:

Wing to role account
Announcement to role and personal
SMS Announcement to role x 3

Edit: just had the SMS notification 2 more times not even an hour later.

4 Likes

We don’t have any, but have previously borrowed from nearby. I’ll need to check what theirs are to work out if that’s remaining viable.

This is one of the main suppliers to MOD

JS Franklin

Wonder if they could advise / supply covers?

Not compatible with BS7837…

BS 7837:1996 Specification for flammability performance for textiles used in the construction of marquees and similar textile structures
Publication Year: 1996

So not been compatible for some time then… Only taken 27 years to realise! We’ve had countless wars, RIATs and summer camps since then… You’d have thunk, in all that time, given their apparent high risk of flammability, at least one would’ve “woomfed”.

Good job MOD. Good job.

9 Likes

I know of suppliers but it is if they have compliant tents and the knowhow to identify them!

There is an NSN, I just don’t know if the NSN is different for Mk1 / 2 and 3

I’ve contacted them, and they don’t make the PVC version. They have suggested another company and I’ve asked them. If they’re correct, I’ll let people know.

4 Likes