The Cluster at the Muster

Yeah it was a HQAC bright idea to save on travel costs.

OK, let’s stop this now please. Comment on the organisation but there is no need to identify individuals.

1 Like

Apologies - I assumed that because everyone here has access to that info anyway, it’d be fine to post. (I wasn’t being critical of him - I actually think he’s doing a massively good job in a difficult environment)

I’ve given this a brief tidy and moved it to the Staff Mess.

Review your own posts if you want locations removed. I did briefly consider editing AlexCorbin’s post identifying his wing, but with his username his identity is hardly a secret!

2 Likes

My bad… Really need an alter ego ha :neutral_face:

1 Like

I can forward an admin order to anyone who wants it. just pm me your bader account

Oh and the event is still in draft . . . ACTO 10 training anyone?

2 Likes

very much a failed experiment.

from a RIAT POV the numbers were there but the experience was not. RIAT is, as I am sure is true of other National events, where previous experience helps a smooth running of the day and although there is no expectation that of the Staff attending only X% can be new/Y% need to have experience, it showed when stopping half the nation attending, so did half the experience and were back filled with the allocated half of the nation most of whom were novices.

This was actually true for Staff AND Cadets - a first time attending CFS or CWO can struggle at RIAT Vs a Cpl who is on their 2nd or 3rd year and for the extended camp team (build team) the lack of experience in building the tented village showed and made for a hard start while everyone got up to speed.

exactly this. all came about as Wings were sending 50 seater coaches (cost ~£600+) with less than 20 people going and was not seen to be effective or efficient. solution was to double the wing’s allocation to fill the bus at the cost of reducing other Wing’s to zero hence the 3/3 split.

given it failed, and we’ve been told won’t be repeated again the problem (empty coaches) still exists and so may well be tackled again in time - how i guess is watch this space?

with the muster it will be interesting how much the travel costs the Org given the hit and miss numbers wings are sending.

It is now on the SMS application for those who have been invited.

1 Like

Good for them. Our Region, not our Wing it seems.

This thread is the most information I’ve seen, some very confused cadets had spotted the Facebook post.

I guess it muster been an oversight, because “what we’ve got here is a failure to communicate”.

3 Likes

What’s more embarrassing I think is that there is an initial document on SMS that is dated over two months ago with outline information. Surely that should have been disseminated back then so we could get our selves sorted? Get the cadets the Friday off school they need Etc etc.

From what’s on there now, and from what I’ve heard, it looks like the event it’s self has been well organised in terms of activities etc. But the logistics of getting cadets there from other regions has just been left to the last week. (Literally)

Proper prior planning prevents poor performance.

I’m sure someone will argue “changing circumstances” and “waiting for confirmation of plans”, but if the circumstances are changing that much and confirmation is this late, bin it off.

We wouldn’t be able to run a fieldcraft weekend (or pretty much any activity) without site booking and sms authorisation weeks in advance. Travel plans, get out of school free cards, kit lists, nominal rolls… All should have been in place long before now.

Ambition has outstretched ability.

7 Likes

Disappointed cadets, angry parents, volunteers left in the complete dark… And a massive set of double standards. It’s a complete nonsense.

It’s not as if it’s the first time, either.

2 Likes

There are better solutions, minibuses is one, region coaches is another.

I do agree 100%. Also this was once again an even that was found out first on Facebook.

Ask you staff for more information or check out Cadet Portal.

That only works if you tell staff and add it to cadet portal, neither of which had happened when that Facebook post was made.

2 Likes

Also part of an issue with Squadrons having to add it because higher up the chain can’t.

2 Likes

Indeed this should have been an SMS event with Cadet portal usage from get go.

2 Likes

The age old solution. I thought we were done with this nonsense with the “communication strategy”.

2 Likes

Also only works if your Region / Wing / Sqn are included in the first place, and if your staff know whether you’re involved or not.

I get we as volunteers don’t really want lots of messages saying “here’s an event going on …but you’re not going”, but for the couple of national events like this that get a lot of attention it would make things a damn sight simpler.

We were informed of the event a good 3 weeks ago. (South & East Midlands Wing) Granted we only got the admin order and transport details this morning…