The 5/6/7 'Esses' (Ss) or, did the ACF forget Shine?

Someone else needs to review the fieldcraft book - the “seven esses” went out years ago.

3 Likes

The fieldcraft manual contradicts itself on ‘Shine’

Paragraph 01109 says

“Where possible there should be at least two of each item of equipment, one used at the squad position to explain the factors i.e. shape and shine, and the other located in the open at a suitable range to demonstrate it.”

However, the lesson plan in detail omits to include a section on ‘Shine’.

But it should still be taught, because it’s still a fundamental part of ‘why things are seen’ especially when the section on exercise planning and preparation tells you to camouflage things that can shine.

1 Like

@talon does the 2021 version of 71966 cover shine?

Wait, I’ve just been lumping it into “texture”. Are you telling me I’m wrong? :open_mouth:

1 Like

I have heard so much over the years:
Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette, Sound, Movement, and Texture.

Though a lot of these have overlap, especially with the last two. Not sure what the book says though.

1 Like

Never heard of “Texture” but have heard it referred to as “surface” so you have “the five S’s and a M on why things are seen”

Sound is included as a sixth (because you don’t see sound).

Regardless, we aren’t scaled for MTP hence why you still see a lot of DPM swanning about.

1 Like

We were always taught ‘Sudden Movement’ as slow movement isnt as noticeable, and then it falls neatly into the ‘S’ format

3 Likes

I don’t know, it just seems to be teed up to be included, then omitted in the lesson itself?

Sound isn’t a reason why ‘things are seen

You’re missing Spacing

3 Likes

I’ve moved this to a new topic, before @pEp reminds me of my own words on this sort of thing.

2 Likes

there’s another, i mean ive heard all of those from different instructors when being taught the “why things are seen” lesson

No, but sudden movement causes sound :man_facepalming: :wink:

Cadets often come up with “sound” if asked, to which the response is “…not a reason why things are seen, but may attract someone to look in a certain direction, so being quiet is definitely something to consider”.

Thinking about it I think in my rush I didn’t clarify “with texture” as being part of “surface”.

1 Like

When choosing a site for a practice forced landing…
Shape
Size
Surface
Slope
Surroundings
Sheep

Back to my box… its a slow foggy day

Re the above …don’t forget to say “…and avoiding the Nuclear power station / school / nunnery / stray dog hostel”…etc as appropriate to make sure you get that good show award!

Surface is almost where the 2013 manual seems to put ‘shine’ but that’s why I’d be curious to see what the latest version, the one we can’t use, says.

1 Like

Usually what’s left behind by them :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::rofl::rofl:

Better than ACP16 - “if bright, make dull” (possibly slightly paraphrased)

shiny-moana

Having been working from home, and having Moana on repeat for mini-Tornado today… I can’t get this song out of my head when i ready about shiny…

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s best to keep it simple?

But we’re working from an Army Cadet book based on an Army book. Surely that should be simple enough?