Tate & Lyle rank slides

Of course, for mess dress, badges are reduced size.
The big gold wire WO badges are actually for certain RAF musician posts.

Nah, these are still with the gash bright yellow thread and look honking. My WO wears the woven ones like this: SNCO/WO Rank Slide - RAF Air Cadets - Warrant Officer Class 1 - Blue Woven | eBay

Look far better, the thread is gold for startersā€¦these were available various other places but seem to be few and far between now.

I ordered some from there and had the yellow ones delivered.

The gold ones were (as I understand it) a trial run when someone felt that the Command WOs should still have something which marks them out as being ā€˜moreā€™ than a ā€˜normalā€™ WO.
Obviously that idea was squashed as being nonsense. Perhaps the trial run has gone and nobody has seen the need to make more.

Iā€™d also suspect that many of the places supposedly selling the gold ones were likely just using the photo but actually stocked the standard ā€˜gash yellowā€™ slides.
The gold are nice, certainly, but the standard issue pattern arenā€™t really all that gash.

In the flesh I think the standard ones look good.

Thats the ones id likeā€¦look so much better but ive ordered these and got the Yucky Yellow ones delivered.

Just an update, this chap appears to be selling the gold embroidered version:

No idea where theyre coming from! Have bought a set and they look far better than the yellow ones. Get them whilst you can i guess!

1 Like