STOP 🛑 Car Parking

And this is the issue in a nutshell!

All the fun, practical, outdoors, character building activities are being removed with NO decent alternatives suggested.

1 Like

Yes I did, but don’t believe that local organisations like the Rotarians will be petty and vindictive against the Sqn, especially so when the decision was made way above their sphere of influence.

1 Like

Sorry, I thought we were talking about fund raising?

I think the issue here is actually the other way around. We fundraise because of the lack of support provided by the RAFAC and RAF directly to squadrons. There should be one technology contract providing laptops, printers, projectors etc to squadrons, rather than each unit fundraising for differing levels of IT solutions. Same with flight sims, minibuses etc. Or let subs remain 100% with the squadron and HQAC can fundraise nationally to cover the levies. Want us to provide synthetic ATP? Give us the flight sim to do it then.

We shouldn’t NEED to fundraise to support our core activities.

The ACF don’t fundraise locally at all. The SCC do because they are a charity. We’re sitting in the middle not really benefitting from either process.

eta. I believe local fundraising should cover the nice-to-haves and not the necessities.

7 Likes

Isn’t this the difference between public & non-public funds?

Ideally, I agree, but the reality is there isn’t the cash to do this and never will be. So raising our own funds is a great way to fill the gaps and get what we want. Yes it’s hard work and decisions like this make it all the more difficult, but I believe it’s definitely worth the effort.

I’m talking about grants and trusts, and I said often not always.

Ok, but you said ‘fundraising’ and I didn’t want anyone to read that and misinterpret that they can’t fund raise if they are not a charity.

If one were to grip the vitals - what public money?

What is the resource that my cadets get from the RAF?

Uniform? Not really. Half of them have things like trousers, shirts, jumpers or berets missing. Fundraising - car parking and the grants that flow from it - pay for both blue and green uniforms.

Annual camp? I have four cadets out off 30+ who’ve been on an annual camp.

VA for uniformed staff to do all the other stuff - DofE, local camps and weekends? Err

Provision of minibuses. Oh, ah, um

Flying? Bruh
 I didn’t do a flying scholarship or anything like that - I have more flights/hours in my 3822 of 30 years ago than my entire Sqn of 30+ cadets put together. I have not one single cadet on my Squadron who has flown in each of the years they have been a cadet.

We’re back to the Schrödinger’s Footprint model - in which we were cast as the RAF’s local blue footprint, but because they didn’t trust us to look as good as they did after a week of foot drill and ironing, we weren’t allowed to, err
 be their blue footprint - but this time its Schrödinger’s Money: we give you the money, so we make the rules.

Except, no money

6 Likes

I think this is a wider problem across RAFAC. We are dreadful at data management. Things can be reported up the chain but never recorded. That needs fixing

The number of data breaches that occur which are never recorded is obscene. I remember when I went through commissioning, my application forms were lost by TEST/HQ staff at least three times, I reported this to HQ as a data breach each time. Later on I saw someone had FOId for the same period asking for number of data breaches and the response was that there were zero beaches across RAFAC in that time frame. That suggests either a lie or dreadful data management. (Personally I suspect both as anyone answering that request should have known that breaches occur)

5 Likes

Wow. I’m seeing alot of I’ll state my opionion to disprove your opinion without reading the previous posts properly
 Several spirallng circular argument going on!

2 Likes

No one said fundraising is not important. It just that i think car parking is not core.

1 Like

ok, on reflection, it is a “high risk” activity, but with a “low risk rating” score due to the numerous control measures in place

1 Like

Lets use the terms from the RA. It is a high impact activity if something should go wrong
 i.e death; However, it is a low likelihood due to the control measures in place.

A bit like shooting, or flying or AT or units that do drill on a car park next to their unit.

3 Likes

But in each of these cases there are people in charge who have authorised qualifications that have been assessed to be competent to operate :roll_eyes:

1 Like

And there are ample rules / regs / policies which govern the conduct of these activities.

2 Likes

So rather than a straight ban on car parking, why didn’t we look into what rules/regs/policies we could bring in to help guide CFAVs to do car parking safely?

It’s been done safely all over the UK for a long time. Clearly there were some people doing it unsafely that you have seen. But a few doing it wrong shouldn’t mean a stop for all.

Could we have got an SME to produce a ‘generic RA’ along with a short video or similar that helps reinforce the required control measures?

6 Likes

More than a few posters (myself included) have previously asked what can be done to mitigate the risk / add relevant trg considerations / make the activity risk acceptable.

6 Likes

Have you not noticed yet he doesn’t answer the hard questions?

10 Likes

@MikeJenvey I can’t see that happening if it looks like in the future, we have to be on some sort of approved list for blister care in road marching

1 Like