Staff Cadets and their Fuel

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but when it comes to Staff Cadets getting enraged because they can’t claim fuel costs back. Surly they don’t need to, because when it comes to insurance for an 18 - 19 year old driving cadets under business class insurance it would be so expensive it wouldn’t be possible. Also, would you trust such inexperienced driver to drive cadets about, as there is a reason you have to be 21 and have 3 years experience to be a taxi driver.

You would be surprised, there are so many variables when it comes to insuracne.

When I was looking at self employed consultancy as a 19 year old business class insurance on a reasonably sporty Toyota Celica was only £800 for business use but over £2k SD&P+ commuting, and that was outskirts of a large city, not some peaceful rural haven.

Given your experience, I might try to add business to my insurance and see if I can save a few £.

1 Like

As a staff cadet I just told my insurance company the situation, saying sometimes I drive cadets and/or equipment. They said as it’s volunteering nothing more is required, and sent this to me in writing to show my OC at the time as ‘proof of insurance’. That was the same for multiple insurance companies for a few years.

Since then as a CI some companies have been the same, some have added business for free for volunteering only. Recently I’ve needed business for work, and adding 2000 business miles has barely increased my premium.

When I was a staff cadet I would very regularly drive cadets, business class insurance wasn’t too much different (I was paying over £2000 either way though)

This isn’t too much of a worry because if they couldn’t perform to standard, they wouldn’t have passed their test in the first place.

You might have a CFAV who drives an SOV for a few hours every few months or so, and they’re trusted to drive it. Compare this to a Staff Cadet who may drive their own car every day.

The trust is always there because there has been testing. That CFAV will have completed a qualification and be assessed in a standardised manner, the same as said Staff Cadet.

1 Like

A full list of insurance companies who don’t require being told about volunteer driving/what their position is can be found here

1 Like

That’s awesome, not seen that list before. Albeit even if they say we don’t need to inform them, I’d still ask and get it in writing!

1 Like

There is definitely a difference between a new driver and an experienced driver, and between an older driver and a younger driver.

And that’s objective, that’s why insurers charge those groups more. If they were just as safe there wouldn’t be a gargantuan premium hike for them.

There’s a difference between being able to perform to a standard, and choosing to do so, though. But this isn’t age related at all.

This.

Although… IBN 06/2020 (referenced in ACP 4) says this:

Note that staff cadets are not permitted to drive on RAFAC business

I don’t disagree with you that there may be a difference. The point was more that just because they might have been driving a year, they shouldn’t just get slapped with the notion of being an unsafe driver.

I’d like to think that any Staff Cadet using their vehicle for transport reasons, paying for business insurance also, wouldn’t be stupid enough to drive like an idiot. But, there’s always that select few isn’t there :neutral_face:

And equally I’ve had many a questionable drive with perfectly experienced middle aged officers. It’s not about age, it’s about the individual.

5 Likes

Steady on.

1 Like

My former CO was like this with the SOV…drove it like a white van driver. I wouldn’t mind so much but the bus was plastered with identifying graphics of the Sqn and two local groups who supported the Squadron with grants to buy it…never felt like it was the pride it should have of been given how other drivers must have experienced the vehicle

1 Like

Excuse me, I’m a whole can driver of very large cans and don’t deserve this slander!

Is there a different rate of reimbursement for electric cars, as electricity is another form of fuel in a sense, but costs different and is obtained differently?

No there isn’t.

1 Like

Staff Cadets cannot drive on RAFAC business, so there is nothing they can claim fuel for.

Even though their not allowed, many do. So seems like HQ needs a clamp down, or allow staff cadets to drive for the ATC so they can be of more use.

1 Like