Staff Cadet Shooting Quals

Hi there,

Currently sorting out my staff cadet paperwork, and was wondering if there is any shooting coaching/safety qualifications achievable for staff cadets?

TIA

I believe staff cadets can do the coaching course, but not any of the ā€˜safe personā€™ courses such as RCO or SAAI.

1 Like

Coaching course (lying next to the shooting coaching them on technique) and Safety Supervisor (standing over the shooting ensuring they are safe) are the two that I know of.

it is also worth nothing that a Staff Cadet can be the appointed First Aider if they hold the appropriate FA ticket - although it is not shooting specific

Staff Cadets canā€™t currently be safety supervisors.

Cadets can coach so long as there are also safety supervisors.

The whole Staff Cadets being able to hold shooting Quals is a big debate at the moment as you could be a staff member in the ACF and attend courses and run ranges.

oh - i stand corrected in that case

Back when I was a Cadet you could be an RCO if you were a CWO and you could hold the old qcWHT.

Itā€™s ridiculous at the memory that we donā€™t let staff cadets hold quals, we let them drive Cadets about and we let them run AT activities all of which are as dangerous as shooting if the wrong person is doing it.

Agree, but Iā€™m in the camp of getting rid of Over 18 cadets and making them staff anyway.

3 Likes

Warning warning extreme dangerā€¦ O18 thread creep detected.

3 Likes

For once it isnā€™t thread creep, itā€™s exactly what this thread is about! O18s and their shooting quals :wink: Although the actual question has already been answeredā€¦

1 Like

they cannot exercise a First Aid Qualification on a range eitherā€¦CRT only allows CFAVSā€¦

2 Likes

I forgot that, which is also ridiculous

1 Like

it is ā€¦very frustratingā€¦

1 Like

That was an authorisation not a qualification. Cadets will never be permitted to hold these qualifications.

What they were ā€œauthorisedā€ to run a .22 range not qualified?

Based on the recent changes to ACP 4, I would suggest any changes to what staff cadets can do is more likely to limit it than allow them to do more.

Pretty sure mine was a qualification. Not re-authorosed annually, standard F7257 etc.

1 Like

Some of the policies in this organisation re staff cadets are absurd. There are plenty knocking around with SC and iirc some even with DV based on their day jobs but canā€™t undertake staff roles re shooting that seem blocked off pretty much solely on the basis of ā€œthey donā€™t hold clearanceā€.
Interesting as well there is no way to even log clearances for staff cadets, or anything above SC (eSC/DV/eDV) for adult staff afaik, not that the latter would be massively necessary in this organisation except for removing the requirement to extract an SC/do an extra SC for their mod90.
Feels to me that weā€™re pointlessly cutting off the opportunities of our 18-19yo cadets to do certain shooting courses for no blindingly obvious reason, based solely on the incorrect presumption that none of our staff cadets hold the clearances anyway

Itā€™s nothing to do with clearance, itā€™s the fact that CTR specifies CFAVs specifically and they arenā€™t CFAVs.

This is unique to the RAFAC as none of the other forces have over 18 cadets so not an issue.

1 Like

The ACF do now (in some areas)

Not according to JSP814 they still limit at 18.

They will also suffer the same issue that those still deemed to be Cadets canā€™t hold these Quals.