Squadron Owned Vehicles

My business insurance cost about £50 when I first got so now gets lost in the premium, but I get much more than that from work mileage in a month, such cadet mileage when allowed to claim is biscuit money. But whether it costs anything is immaterial, it’s being directed by some paper shuffler that for our hobby we must have it. Can you get business on TPF&T as this is what many younger staff will have? If not and they have to dole out for FC, that’s a considerable increase in premium, given age and driving experience.

You missed the point that some people are alluding to, in that parents could be expected to fall in with HQAC rules. Which won’t get a positive response and end up with squadrons not bothering with things. We have to expect people to behave as people do and some idealised perspective we might like. If that was the case I can think of at least 20-30 staff who would in all likelihood still be part of the Corps now.

1 Like

It’s not as black and white as that.

Fuel, Insurance, Wear and tear, depreciation, servicing are not fixed costs, and will vary greatly. Younger staff may have to pay more insurance than older staff. Someone who has a newer car will lose more money through depreciation, than someone who drives an older model. A BMW will cost more to service than a Kia

In the real world, the approved mileage allowance is £0.45p (plus £0.05 for each passenger carried) for the first 10,000 miles, which I would suggest is closer to covering the actual costs to the motorist per mile. In fact, even the links provided by @big_g earlier in the thread suggest that the mileage rate claimed by volunteers should be £0.45p.

It doesn’t sound like much of a difference, but it can quickly add up.

For example, I recently took 4 cadets to a place that was 79.9 miles from my SHQ.
At HQAC Rate, I could claim £45. Using HMRC’s rate, I could claim £117.

And yet we are expected to fund any additional charges by insurance companies. My old insurer wanted to increase my premium by about £14, plus a £35 admin charge for approving the transportation of cadets in my private vehicle.

1 Like

You can claim tax relief on the difference between HQAC’s MMA and the Government’s. That is for a different thread though.

2 Likes

I’ve had Fully Comp since passing my test, which isn’t the point.

I would NOT allow a cadets to be transported in a vehicle that did not have fully comp insurance, I would question if the passengers would be covered…

1 Like

Yes, they would.

The only difference between Third party insurance, and fully comprehensive is that the latter will fund repairs for your own vehicle.

Full Article

I think we would need an insurance expert to confirm here.

Not here you wouldn’t. Make a new thread! :wink:

1 Like

They are. Third party essentially means everyone except for the covered driver.

I had an RTA with a cadet in the vehicle many years ago, who I had taken to hospital whilst at an AT camp, the grief and agro from the insurance company made me think never again would I transport cadets in my own car. Had to attend a Coroners Court and give police statements as there was death in the vehicle responsible for the RTA, not an experience I would ever want to repeat.

1 Like

You may have been able to afford it, but given the numbers spouted at our kids when they got cars, for TPF&T, I felt lucky I was sitting down. We helped them out on the proviso that they didn’t have an accident, or else they’d have to pay it all. They’ve never had an accident between them, probably seen several in the mirrors though!!
So to expect young staff to pay over the odds, for something that is only in effect for a hobby is nonsense, as it is expecting them to give up time to do a D1 course if they can get on one, for something they might use once or twice.

2 Likes

And some not so young staff! by my reckoning anyone under the age of 38 will not have a grandfather rights D1 on their licence!

To be fair, I’ve done the D1 course, and quite enjoyed it. I found the medical, and theory tests more of a faff than the course itself, which wasn’t too onerous - Leconfield advise that it could take up to 2 weeks to pass, but in reality that figure is just for baby soldiers going through their phase 2 training. I arrived on Sunday night, and was on my way home by 11 on the following Wednesday. The course was very relaxed, and everyone had a good laugh (and plenty of bacon sarnies at the transport cafes!). I would recommend it to anyone driving minibuses on a B licence!

2 Likes

Only if they want to transport cadets - at which point there is a responsibility from the organisation…

Maybe the responsibility from the organisation is they pay for it or we all drive under MOD ‘insurance’, which gets around the problem completely.

1 Like

Under MoD insurance, does that make you an employee?

Forcing people to pay for business class 1 insurance does nothing to reduce the risk to the cadet, though.

Why not offer incentives to the volunteer, such as discounted Pass Plus training, MIDAS training etc? The training will reduce the risk to cadets and we volunteers potentially qualify for lower insurance premiums.

It’s too easy to put in place high standards in the name of safety when somebody else has to foot the bill.

2 Likes

You mean along with daily rates of pay, paying tax and insurance on “renumeration”, minimum attendance contracts, the potential that we will profit from any money received by the RAFAC, the fact that HMRC list “Employer: RAF Reserve” on my income tax record … :joy:

But we’re definitely not employees say HQAC!

2 Likes

You can but it only comes back as a change of your tax code; you don’t get the full value difference between 25 and 45 ppm. Just done it, looking at several hundred pounds, got tax code change!!

I do know some people that put pressure on the Tax office and managed to get some money refunded in cash, but it did take some persuasion!

It prevents you from invalidating your insurance entirely when travelling on “business” by transporting cadets…

My insurer is happy for me to move cadets and equipment, include arms and ammo, on a comprehensive policy, though. Yet, according to accounts form 9, I have to sign to say that I have business cover…?

Edited to add:

Besides, invalidating insurance is a bit of a misomer. Insurance companies have a legal responsibility to cover all third party claims if you hold a policy with them. They may move towards recovering the money from the driver afterwards, however.

1 Like